Author Topic: House Batteries - 2001 Monterey X-Edition  (Read 7869 times)

Tony Roache

House Batteries - 2001 Monterey X-Edition
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »
It's time to replace my house batteries again (all 6) and am looking for recommendations. I'm not sure of the factory specification, beyond deep-cycle marine and maybe Interstate. Any help is appreciated!

Gil_Johnson

Re: House Batteries - 2001 Monterey X-Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »
The capacity of the battery bank is determined by your need for battery operation.  If you always have shore power when stopped and don't need the inverter while driving, you can get by with a very small capacity bank.  If you spend a lot of time boondocking, then the most capacity you can fit into the physical space is probably what you're looking for.  Anything in between is up to you.  Keep in mind that the bigger (in capacity) the bank the longer it will take to charge unless you change out your charger, which I would not advocate.  The brand of battery doesn't matter.  Some brands may last longer than others and they will likely cost a lot more as well.  I just changed our my house bank and the batteries sold at Advance Auto were 20% cheaper than Interstates with the same capacity.  You can also move away from wet cells to AGM, but you will pay a lot more.  The great thing about AGMs is you don't have to worry about water levels any more.  For me, checking the water twice a year did not offset the AGM price premium.

Mike And Mary Engen

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »
I bought mine at Sam's Club, or maybe it was a Walmart when I was coming home from Florida.  I used two 6 volt golf cart batteries hooked up in series for 12 volts and parallelled these with two more for the house batteries.  Price was very good and they installed them about 3 years ago and have been ok so far.

I hear Trojan golf cart batteries are supposed to also be one of the best.

Tony Roache

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:27:20 AM »
Thanks Gil for the sizing and cost saving options. Mike, the 6 volt option interests me. Any idea where I can get a wiring diagram for that configuration? Mine is currently configured with four 12 volt batteries.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »
Try this article in the July, 2009 issue of Family Motorcoach Magazine, Tony:

http://www.fmcmagazine.com/back-issues/2009/july/1124-house-calls-july-2009

You will probably have to log in to the site to read it, but it has basic diagrams.  Or if you have that back issue saved, dig it out.

6v deep cycles are best because two supply more amp hours than one 12v deep cycle battery.  You might also read the relative article in the September 2011 FMC magazine by Brett Wolfe, pg. 52.

Joel
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:15:32 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David Fischer

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
Here is just one web site that may be helpful.  If you Google RV batteries series vs parallel you can get more that you may want to know about it.
I bought my batteries (6) from Costco  in Phoenix about 6 years ago and they are still good.  They are US Battery, but you don't see them everywhere.  Good luck.

David Fischer

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
Here is the web site I forgot to put in the last note.  http://rvbasics.com/techtips/RV-batteries-series-parallel.html

Tony Roache

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 01:03:20 AM »
Thanks Joel and David. I'm going with the six volt configuration (maybe on the starting side as well). Now for battery shopping.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 01:13:53 AM »
Call your local Costco and ask if they have item number 245725 ( 6V golf cart battery) in stock. If they don't ask them to look to see which local stores show stock.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 02:38:26 AM »
Tony,
Golf cart batteries are not recommended for your chassis batteries unless you repeatedly discharge and recharge them so often that starting batteries will not last. Even then the battery bank will usually need to be enlarged to use the golf cart batteries as chassis batteries.

Golf cart batteries are built to be discharged and recharged many times by using solid lead plates. Where starting batteries are built using lead sponge type plates that deteriorate rapidly if discharged and recharged, however the sponge type plates have a lot more surface area, so they will deliver a lot more amps to run high loads like a starter motor for short periods of time. The solid plate design of a golf cart battery probably will not deliver enough CCA (cold cranking amps) to satisfactorily start your engine especially in cold weather.

Gerald

Tony Roache

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:29:46 PM »
Thanks Gerald. I'm going with std 12v on starting and 6v on house