Author Topic: Removing Backup Camera  (Read 13597 times)

Dick Simonis

Re: Removing Backup Camera
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
I changeg the BCN connector but didn't do a very good job and it's still erratic.  I had my wife watch the monitor and the image was sharp until I tryed to slip it back into the bracket and it started acting up.  It's either a bad connection or something inside the camera does not like to be tilted.

I'm heading off to Quartzsite tomorrow and will just have to suffer for the time being.  When I get back I'll try to have the camera repaired or replaced.

Dick

Dick Simonis

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 01:09:21 AM »
OK Bill, you may get a kick out of this one.

When I went out this morning to move the coach out of the driveway, the backup camera was jumping and grainy.  Could barely make out anything behind me.  Got on the road and the silly thing is prefectly clear and crisp.  Just as we pulled into the camp ground in Gila Bend, it started developing vertical green  lines.

One of us is going nuts.....either me or the camera.

On my shoppng list in Quartzsite if anyone is there.

Dick

Joel Weiss

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 03:28:15 AM »
It sure sounds like mine did when I was having connector problems.  I opened up the camera compartment and used a number of zip-ties to make things secure.  Everything was fine after that.

Bill Borden

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 08:07:17 AM »
Dick,

Your right, I did get kick out of lt. I hate to laugh at your problem but it sounds like what I am going through. I have tested the connector but no change, I have replaced the lenses, without improvement, I still get a good picture out of the mount but when I return the camera to its mounted position it goes blue and green and blotchy, like it is out of focus.

Next I will also try a new camera, if it works I will then use my shotgun to dispatch the little. SOB.

I will write more soon, good luck Dick I look forward to hearing of your success!

Bill

Dick Simonis

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 10:36:03 PM »
Just resurrecting this thread with some updated info.

Chatted with Beaver Parts and found that the camera is supplies by Motion Analysis in Eugene and Matt gave me the number to call.  I found out several things:

1)  This is a sophisticated little camera.  It has an automatic iris and gain contol for operation in low light situations.  I.e. the coach backup lights will provide adaquate illumination for it to function.
2)  There is a reset button just above the BNC connector that will help quite a few problems
3)  In my case, the gain control board is suspect and the boards are no longer available.
4)  The lens is very high quality....made by Pentax I think and is removable so one can save a few $$$ if a new one is purchased.
5)  They are very pricey......$450.00 or so.

Mine is now functional again after doing the reset.  It also helped to have something behind the coach to focus on.  No idea why but when I pulled the Jeep around it the image got crystal clear and stayed that way.  I also have no idea if the reset did the trick or if it's still being tempermental but at least I know they can be replaced.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:34:17 PM »
Before we purchased our coach last year, the PO had replaced the camera (and monitor, I think) with Voyager components.  I'm pretty sure he paid nowhere near the prices quoted here.  I now have a B&W camera and like it better than any color one I've had.  The B&W image is crisp and has extremely good low light level capability.  I have had none of the problems discussed here and have removed and replaced the camera without issue.