Author Topic: Headlamps Insufficient  (Read 7370 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Headlamps Insufficient
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:01:21 AM »
I had been complaining to Monaco since delivery of our 2007 Beaver Contessa about the pitiful amount of lighting produced by my headlamps. Enough so that we avoided driving at night because it was unsafe to do so. There answer was, everything is OK. Well, in a casual conversation with Lamar Keck at the balloon fest last October, he relayed that he had a similar problem and it was fixed by Roy Mueller. The fix was installing some 'reducers', I believe is the term. Anyway, I asked Roy to take a look at mine.

Sure enough, I was receiving 8volts to the low beams and 9 volts to the high beams. I may as well have stuck a flashlight out the window when driving at night.

Roy ran a jump wire to a 12 volt source and 'Holy Cow', did I now have some bright headlamps. The difference was incredible. Roy then ran new wires to the headlamps through two reducers (believe that's the term). Turned them on last night after dark. I can barely describe the difference. Another friend here in Quartzite with the identical coach wanted to see my 'new' lights. We looked at his and then mine. Mine were a full 50% brighter.

If you think your headlamps are not putting out enough light, you too may have low voltage at the headlamps.

A huge thank you to Roy Mueller!!!!!

ken Sair 2007 Contessa
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:38:40 AM by 14 »
BAC members since 2006

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Headlamps Insufficient
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:39:49 AM »
The term you were trying to recall is "relay"

Larry

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
Ken your great to work with. Thank for your patience.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »
We have the same problem.  I have changed out the headlights and checked the wiring to no avail.  I would be interested in hearing more.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
My 08 has factory installed headlight relays.  I would have thought the 08 and 07 wiring would be the same--I guess not.  I have a similar problem with my large awning.  I know the wire is undersized.  I'm trying figure out where the awning power comes from.

As I've said before, headlight relays have been used in the automotive industry almost forever.  That makes it hard to understand why Monaco would not have used headlight relays.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:01:15 PM by 14 »

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:02:54 AM »
I think because they are only warranted for 12 months, Monaco had everything to gain.  I think the bean counters didn't want them to invest any more money into the design and build.  You know what's happening to the price of copper wire, so I think that's why they take the short cut and the easy way to build.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:05:55 AM by 14 »
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:53:54 AM »
Thanks Larry, I knew someone would understand what I was saying. And a big thanks to Jim, Ann apprecieates your patience with me.  :)

Keith, here is what I know. The relay has 4 connections. The rear one went to the good 12V power source, the right one went to a good ground, the front one went out to the headlamps and the left one came in from the headlamps. There are two relays needed, one for the low beams and one for the high beams. Roy used 14 and 16 gage wire I believe. This is beyond my abilities but Jim and Gerald can provide more details. I do know that the change is easier on older coaches than the newer multi-plex wiring systems. The amount of light produced is incredible to say the least.

Ken 2007 Contessa
BAC members since 2006

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:20:33 PM »
What type of relays are we talking here?  Aparently not replacing the headlight relay in the wiring bay?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
I have an 08 Contessa and it has a headlight relay that is triggered by the headlight switch.  The only switch on the high current side of the relay is the one for hi or lo beam.  The high current side is fused at 20A.  Personally, I would have installed two relays, one for hi and one for low so I could contain the high current wiring to only the area near the headlights.  I confirmed this on Monaco's wiring diagram dated Jan 08.  There is also another headlight relay to control day time running lights.  The high current side is fused at 15A.

What I haven't confirmed is the gauge of wiring used, although it should be capable of carrying at least the current of the fuse, which is 20A.

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:50:52 AM »
Yes Keith, I believe that to be the case. All the in/out ground/power wires now come in/out of the new relay which is mounted on the wall. We have passed my knowledge here. Maybe someone else will chime in with more information than I know.

Ken 2007 Contessa
BAC members since 2006

JimDyer

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »
If you go to danielsternlighting.com there is a good explanation and circuit diagram.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »
Great Job on the video Bill and Roy,

Roy did my lights while at Las Vegas.  We did see the impact of the extra power at the lights, although we didn't run at night on the return home, we did run with lights on most of the way.  We had no problem with the new circuit, and I again would like to thank Roy for his help!

Bill the video will be a great help!

FYI I plan to update my supplemental air compressor with the same type of modification.  I will run a new circuit directly from the Battery with a 12 gage wire and a 20 amp in line fuse to the relay.  The relay will then supply the power to a new sealed air compressor, unlike the unit that Monaco used, with an open winding.  The wire modification is basically the same as done by Roy.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:23:14 PM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13