Author Topic: Vent Covers  (Read 7132 times)

Sean Donohue

Vent Covers
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
Has anyone installed Maxx Air on thier rig's ceiling vents?  any issues?

Joel Weiss

Re: Vent Covers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
We have the Fan Mate covers by Maxx Air on both our Fantastic Fans.  Fan Mate is the model that Maxx Air recommends for use with high power vents, specifically Fantastic.  You might also want to check on the covers now being sold by Fantastic.  I noticed them on the website the other day.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »
The problem with vent covers is that most of them restrict the air flow of your Fantastic Fan. The Fantastic Fan is a high CFM (cubic feet per minute) unit. In the past Fantastic Fan did not recommend vent covers for their fans because of this restriction problem.

Since the company has changed ownership, Fantastic has developed their own vent cover that they claim will give almost full air flow for their fans. If you do not have rain sensors on your fans, a vent cover is a good idea. If you have rain sensors on your fans, vent covers are are a trade off if you use high CFM covers. A slight reduction in air flow for the ability to leave the fan open in the rain. However, only use a high CFM cover because the standard covers will cut your air flow in half.

Gerald

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:03 PM »
We installed http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/fanmate-rain-cover-for-high-powered-ceiling-fans/8158 Max Air Vent Covers and do not have any air flow issues. They do have to be removed to clean.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:52:46 PM »
We didn't put the vent covers on for rain protection.  They protect the vent covers from wind gusts, something which is non-trivial here in south Texas.  Last May when we were here I was reluctant to use the vents for several days when wind gusts were above 30mph. We did eventually break a lift mechanism later in the summer when the cover was caught by a sudden gust.  With the covers the vent is restrained and can't be lifted high enough to break and they are not subjected to torquing when the winds come at them crosswise.  I think that a modest reduction in air flow is a small price to pay for all weather capability.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:57:14 PM »
Quote from: Sean Donohue
Has anyone installed Maxx Air on thier rig's ceiling vents?  any issues?
I installed the standard Maxxair vent covers on our Beaver in 2003.  (http://www.maxxair.com/standard-maxxair.html.  I have the typical Fantastic fans that open electrically and automatically when you turn them on.  I would not own any RV with out rain covers of some sort on the fans.

For me, in the rainy Pacific Northwest, the rain senor would be useless.  Two RVs ago, we learned that having ventilation when it is raining is the key to keeping the moisture and humidity inside under control.   With the fans continuously running on a low setting we don't get steamy windows.  It can cause the heater to run more.  Additionally, we cook a lot.  Even in the rain.  The Fantastic fans is over the stove has to be on if there is water boiling.  The Maxxair vents are key in keeping us comfortable in the confined space of an RV.

One of the clever parts about the Fantastic fan is they way the lid operates.  It's normal way of stopping is that it senses resistance when you are opening or closing.  There are no micro switch style sensors.  When opening it will stop when it reaches the end of it's hinge, the rain cover or a tree limb that is too close.  It is the same when closing.  The lid quits when it hits something such as the base.  That's why the Maxxair vent has not been a problem.  

Does it restrict air flow?  Probably on high settings.  But, high is too noisy so mine are typically on low.  So air restriction is not an issue.  

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »
I concur, I have them on all three of my vents and never had any problems.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:11:59 AM »
I don't think that having rain sensors is an issue, since you can manually control the Fantastic Vent, and keep it open regardless of rain.  To vent cooking fumes or moist air during our Northwest's inclement weather, I simply manually open the vents just enough to do the job but still keep much rain out.

If you need everything automated or switch-controlled, then I reckon an outside cover is the ticket for you.  On our previous coach, I installed a MaxxAir solar-powered fan over the front vent, and it worked great, since road speed, wind, nor rain affected it.  The solar panel was mounted on the top of the cover.  Just keep the vent open all summer, and switch it to solar power from 12v., and the hotter the sun got the faster the fan ran.  Sadly, they quit making the unit for some reason. :'(

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:14:34 AM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
If you need everything automated or switch-controlled, then I reckon an outside cover is the ticket for you.

Am I the only one who considers the fan covers to be vulnerable in strong winds?  I'm somewhat surprised that I seem to be alone in this concern?  As I noted in my previous post, to me this was the principle reason for installing the covers.  Am I creating a danger that doesn't exist?

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:46:37 AM »
I installed the MaxAir II http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/maxxair-ii-vent-cover-smoke/37733 and they seem to work fine.  Gerald is probably correct in saying they add some restriction.  The restriction hasn't been noticable to us.  The new MaxAir raid covers the Ames' referenced are likely a better choice.

Make sure you put a bit of sealant on the mountimg screws.