Author Topic: Rear Camera  (Read 5982 times)

Mike Merchant

Rear Camera
« on: February 11, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »
Had our '09 Contessa 42 out for a warm up drive yesterday in preparation for our departure for the Mojave in five days, and realised as I backed it into the garage, the rear view camera went south before us.
The unit appears to be getting no power;black screen, no response with power switch.
Any help with where the fuses might be and how to access the unit would be appreciated. May mean a brief visit to the scenic Monaco parking lot as we head down I-5.  Mike
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:38:33 PM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Rear Camera
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:04:06 AM »
Mike-

I'm not sure if you have the Alladin system on your coach, as Monaco quit installing it awhile back.  Since no one else chimed in here yet that might answer your question, perhaps what little I know of my own system will be of some help until someone does.

My wiring diagrams indicate the screen connects via a 12 pin connector to the Aladdin Controller (Video Coach Systems Monitor), which is supposed to be behind the driver's side overhead, at least on my '06 Monterey.  Unfortunately, I've yet to actually find the thing so it must be behind the TV.  The screen connector uses 6 pins for ground and at least 4 other pins for fused wires, 0.5amp @, and one diagram shows a 3 amp fuse on a white wire to the screen apparently from one of the top pins.  I would expect to find the fuse somewhere between the controller module and the monitor screen in your dash.

Additionally, there are 2 RCA-like plugs (video and red audio) emanating from CMRA A/V Inputs on the controller, that run to the screen, with a multi-connection junction in between.  Part of that loom is wires going directly to the backup camera itself, with no fuse shown;  that doesn't mean there isn't a fuse in that long run somewhere, but the diagrams don't include the camera unit itself.  Some threads on the Forum have indicated there may be a camera access panel in the back wardrobe wall, so you might check that out.

I'm going to assume the 3 amp fuse is the power to the screen, and may be the culprit.  What would blow it I don't know;  but I'd pop the dash hatch or get under the dash and check behind the screen first, then find the controller next, Alladin or otherwise, and go from there.  Problem is, if that power fuse went, I'd think you wouldn't have coach data or anything else on the screen, not just lack of camera image.

If you think it would help at all, I can scan the two relative diagrams of my system for you.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:18:32 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Robert Mathis

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:54:06 PM »
Mike, is it just that camera or is the rest of the system down? I lost my right side camera last year and had to replace it. The actual job was easy enough, but the camera was pricey.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »
It's easy enough to get to the wiring to check if there's an in-line fuse.  There's two screws holding the dash cover on that's over the gauge cluster.  Remove that, check for voltage to the display and whether you can find an in-line fuse (there probably is one).

Mike Merchant

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 05:38:35 PM »
Joel - The 09 and probably Gil's 08 don't have the Aladdin system, it is a camera system independent of the "brain". The whole 3 camera system is down so will start as Gil suggested and check any wiring on the backside with voltmeter. MJM

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
It should have dawned on me you might have an independent screen for your cameras;  that certainly narrows it to a power supply fuse behind the screen as Gil suggests.  Or it could be a switch issue.  My coach data, rear camera, and the side cameras I had installed at coach delivery,  are all accessed on the single Alladin/Sony screen, and everything there also feeds to the front TV (ignition off) when parked.

If you find a blown fuse, you do have to wonder what caused the overcurrent draw.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat