Author Topic: Weird Plunbing Issue  (Read 10892 times)

JimDyer

Weird Plunbing Issue
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
I need your help with a wierd plumbing issue. When the shower is running, water runs in more quickly than it goes out. I think there may be a partial clog in the drain pipe caused when I forgot to drain the gray tank on my usual schedule, but now if DW runs water in the sink, the tub drain picks up speed (vortex is noticeably more violent).  

Anybody got a sensible explanation and a way to make the drain run fast all the time?  

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Weird Plunbing Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
Jim,

After trips I notice hair buildup in the drain.  See if that is th issue messy nasty job to clean but necessary.

Ken Buck

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »
When ours does that it's always a hair clog in the drain. I pull up the strainer in the shower drain and reach in and pull out the hair that's hanging on the cross bars an inch below the floor level. Then the drain works just like new. It's possible that's not the problem with yours, but it's the first logical step to take.

Ken

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
For some reason ours alway drains slowly on the first use after it's been sitting awhile.  Good news is that we do have a door outside that allows access to the trap...bad news it that we don't have a key.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »
Jim,
I agree, it sounds like a hair clog. At times, I have had to use a wire about ten inches long with a bent end to form about a 1/8 inch hook to reach into the drain an remove the hair.

Gerald

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:59:23 PM »
Dick,
I should have a key to your access door, and I will give you one the next time I see you at a rally. The bad news is that it does not give you much access.

Gerald

barbhalsell

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
Shop vac that clog!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
We carry a plunger and it works and is cheap and chemical free. The drain does not have an over flow.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:45:11 AM by 14 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
The next time you are at Quartzsite, buy some forceps.  They work great for cleaning that drain.  You may also buy them at Harbor Freight.

Larry

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 03:15:04 AM »
I have had good success with removing the shower head and holding the hose directly against the drain opening. I set the water temp to hot and the flow to maximum. Even without sealing the hose to the opening, it acts like a water jet and, after 10 minutes or so, does a very good job of cleaning the pipe.  Usually I have only needed to do this only once every 3-4 months.

JimDyer

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:38:09 AM »
I guess I should have mentioned that this is after having cleaned the hair out using a thing like an awl, only bent and twisted as it came from the Stanley factory.........

I'll try some gel drain cleaner.

Thanks to all of you.

Jim

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 06:22:09 AM »
Jim,

Be sure the drain cleaner will not damage the seals in your tank and valves.

Larry

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »
There is an almost new plumbing tool called a "Zip-It".   It is a short, flexible plastic snake with barbs on it to grab hair.  It works.  Video here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_TtfTL4yo.  Buy one here:  http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Products-400-Zip-It-Cleaning/dp/B000BO9204/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1331991137&sr=1-1.  I've seen them at Lowes too.

If you do buy one from Amazon, go though the link on the BAC home page!

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »
The zip-it tool with cleaner is also available at Home Depot.  I've used it in the house and it works GREAT!

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 05:05:26 AM »
The Cesana shower drain/stopper can be unscrewed and lifted out for cleaning??? :)
My wife Jane discovered this the other day after washing the dog in the shower !!!
Draining the vanity sink simultaneously will increase suction on the shower but not enough to help much.