Author Topic: RECALL  (Read 11969 times)

Sean Donohue

RECALL
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »
Just finished reading the FMC mag Tech section and the recall corner has a notice about replacing th IOTA ITS 50R Transfer switch. The affected models are the 2008 thru 2010 Beaver Contessa and the 2009 Beaver Monterey. Reason for the recall is over heat condition that can melt the switch, possible fire.

Gil_Johnson

Re: RECALL
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:17:40 PM »
The only units that will be replaced under this recall are those in coaches sold by the new Monaco.  Even though some of us have the affected transfer switch in coaches sold by the old Monaco, we are on our own.  I’m still trying to determine if the failures are due to improper installation or actual failure of the switch.  I have an email into the president of IOTA Engineering asking him that very question.  Some are reporting IOTA is not a party to the recall.  If true, it would suggest an installation problem.  It’s also been reported that IOTA changed the terminal lug torque requirements from greater than 20 inch-pounds to 40 inch-pounds.  Again, I’m seeking the facts from IOTA.

Sean Donohue

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
Thanks, For the update, will be eager to hear what you learn

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
I just confirmed with Monaco that ONLY Monaco RV sold units are included.  I also confirmed the replacement unit is a Surge Guard 41260.  Still waiting on IOTA to respond.  FWIW, when I looked at available transfer switches I found one that was marketed for 50A RV use, but the transfer relays were only rated for 35A!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
[quote author=]I just confirmed with Monaco that ONLY Monaco RV sold units are included.  I also confirmed the replacement unit is a Surge Guard 41260.  Still waiting on IOTA to respond.  FWIW, when I looked at available transfer switches I found one that was marketed for 50A RV use, but the transfer relays were only rated for 35A![/quote]

Is the 35A per leg??  My genny, for example has two 35A breakers and still seems to put rated power.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »
Yes it is 35A per leg.  Unless your main AC breakers are also rated at 35A or less you have the potential on shore power to exceed 35A.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Here's what I received from IOTA Engineering and it's exactly what I expected:

Iota Engineering has not issued a recall on the ITS-50.  Monaco issued a recall due to installation issues.  You are correct, the issue is making sure the wire lugs are tightened down properly.

If you take the cover off the ITS-50, you will see a row of 13 wire lugs with two screws each.  Make sure all those screws are tight.  Our specs call for 45 inch pounds.  You may also want to put some lock tight on the screws if you want to.

If you see signs of any of the wires getting hot, that is evidence of a loose connection.  Let me know if you see any problems or if you have any further questions.

Regards.

Jay Settlemyre
Iota Engineering Tech Support
www.iotaengineering.com
1-800-866-4682 ext 160

FWIW, I ordered and have received a torque driver from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RZ1D86 .  They aren't cheap, but neither is piece of mind.

Gil

Sean Donohue

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »
Thanks for the updates.. You are a gentleman and a scholar... And I won't tell anyone so your reputation will remain as a scallywag.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:36:17 AM »
GIL
SINCE WE BOTH HAVE 2008 CONTESSA'S DO WE BOTH HAVE THE TRANSFER SWITCH "IOTA ITS 50R Transfer switch" IN OUR COACHES.  OF COURSE YOU ARE 42 Ft and I am only 37 ft.  I have no idea the maker of the Transfer switch, or whether size has anything to do with it.

Leah
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:58:20 AM by 14 »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 03:10:29 AM »
Leah,

I'm almost 100% sure you have the same.  It's located next to the inverter/charger in the roof of your passenger side storage unit in front of the propane tank storage (at least mine is).  I did check the torque on the lugs and a couple were a just a bit loose, but probably not so loose to be concerned.

Gil

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »
Thank Gil,
I guess I better unload that bay so I can take a look.
Leah

Sean Donohue

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 12:00:13 AM »
I will be checking mine tonight... will post tomorrow

Larry Waterman

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »
Also, thanks for the info Gil.

We also have a 2008 Contessa that was manufactured prior ro Navistar and has a IOTA ITS 50R switch.

My concern is that if the only issue is the torque of the connections, why is Navistar replacing the IOTA 50R switch?

It would seem that the torque issue would apply to any switch that is installed.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I seem to think I should be replacing the switch.

Larry Waterman

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 10:35:52 PM »
Just a follow up on my previos post of concern about the IOTA ITS 50R.

I would hope that Bill Osborne has a chance to read these posts and realizes that many of us that have coaches prior to Navistar are concerned about safety.

Although I realize that it probably won't happen, it would certatinly be a good will gesture and excellent publicity for Navistare to stand behind these type of safety issues regarding the Monaco and Beaver products.

Thanks for the forum ear and we will probably replace the transfer switch on our own.

I applaud the forum members for thier research and sharing.

Keep up the excellent work, we all appreciate the effort.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 12:01:27 AM »
Larry,

Sometimes it's less embarrassing to replace something rather than admit to an installation problem.  This MAY be the case here.  I think it's important to note that IOTA is not involved in the recall.  I suspect if their product was proven defective they would be involved and would have to replace ALL suspect product.  On IRV2 one person reported loose connections that resulted in the connector, not the relays, over heating.  I have yet to hear of a relay failing; I just saying...