Author Topic: Flexible sink hose replacement  (Read 9436 times)

Joel Weiss

Flexible sink hose replacement
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »
In our Princeton model the entire kitchen sits on the front slideout.  That, of course subjects electrical and plumbing lines to repeated flexing.  It appeared that our sink drain hose had been failing long before we purchased the coach and several previous repair efforts were evident.  After 12 years the hose had now deteriorated to the point where replacement made more sense than repair.

Unfortunately, Beaver put the junction between flexible hose and ABS pipe back under the corner cabinet in a location that could only be accessed by a child thin enough to slip between the cabinet front drawer frame.  Fortunately, the ABS pipe is much more accessible under the  center drawer stack so I decided to cut the pipe behind the drawers and bypass the entire hose run.  There's plenty of room to feed the new hose around the corner under the OEM pipe and hose.

The last step of the process was to find a suitable hose.  It's a 1-1/2 inch flexible hose with wire reinforcement. I've heard of other people using hot tub hose, but I found an exact replacement here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1PL0U/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_3p_dp_1  It's hose intended for decorative pond use.  The hose I purchased appears to be significantly more rugged than the OEM hose.  I used the entire 10 feet and created a loop inside the unused corner cabinet.  I think this will reduce the "flexing" that results when the slide is closed since the coiled hose should slide over itself rather than bending.

Anyway my DW is pleased that we should now be able to dry out the corner cabinet area and eliminate the sewer gnats that had taken up residence there.

Robert Mathis

Re: Flexible sink hose replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:34:29 AM »
That's why we love owning motorcoaches, there's always something to keep up busy! :) I just finished replacing my washer and am waiting for my new tires to get delivered so I can sell my first-born child to pay for them. ;D

Louis Williams

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:20:39 AM »
I can certainly sympathize with you. I just purchased six new Michelin XZA2 tires from Town Tire in Gainesville, FL. Used the Monaco International Club tire purchase plan. It worked well. It was still quite "painful"!!!!

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »
We have added the Flex drain  hose to our Amazon R V parts store.  I have had to replace my drain hose twice, so I carry some with me at all times.  

Shop our BAC Parts Store at

http://beaveramb.org/Amazom%20Ad/AmazonAd1.htm

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »
I'm hoping that installing the hose with an extra "loop" will reduce wear and improve lifetime.  The hose, as Beaver had installed it, was slightly longer than the distance between the drain pipe and the fitting on the back wall of the slide where it was attached. As I analyzed the problem, when the slide comes in the distance between the fixed ABS drain pipe and the back wall of the slide gets reduced by ~15".  In order to accommodate this reduction in length the hose has to flex and a lot of stress is put on the section that is attached to the "barb" on the fixed drain line since it is being forced to bend sideways.  By putting an extra loop of hose in the line the forces created when the slide is retracted shouldn't be as directed at the hose connection.  Furthermore, by connecting the hose to the drain line coming from the sink at a more accessible location, I've made the process of replacing it a whole lot easier when it eventually has to be done.

Randy Perry

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 06:44:23 AM »
Yea, I got to fix mine on a trip to Prescott AZ. this past January. Only took 3 trips to the local hardware store trying make "ends meet" Ended up using the "Hot Tube" hose alone with some ABS fittings to get the pressure off the fittings while the slide was in!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:04:45 PM »
Quote from: Randy Perry
Yea, I got to fix mine on a trip to Prescott AZ. this past January. Only took 3 trips to the local hardware store trying make "ends meet" Ended up using the "Hot Tube" hose alone with some ABS fittings to get the pressure off the fittings while the slide was in!

As a suggestion for those times when you're looking to "make ends meet" on this hose, I did find that 1-1/2 inch "corrugated" radiator hose worked fairly well and seems strong enough to stand up to the flexing.  I had used that for several months as a repair before deciding that my hose was decaying enough to warrant a complete replacement.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 05:01:53 AM »
About 3 years ago, I had to replace the flexible waste hose under our kitchen sink.  I went to the local trailer parts supply store with a sample.  The parts guy said here is a hose just like the one you have.  It is used mostly for fresh water gravity feed from the outside wall to the fresh water+ tank on most trailers and motor homes (not Beavers.)  Most trailer supply houses stock that item by the 100 foot roll, and sell it by the foot.  As I recall it was about $3.00 per foot.  I have had no problems since.  If you need the part fast and can not wait for delivery, check your local RV parts house.

Larry

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:32:36 AM »
West Marine or any marine parts store will have this hose as well as the end caps that screw onto the spriral hose and make it easy to clamp onto fittings.

George H. Wall

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 03:27:45 AM »
I used 2 pieces of radiator hose, fastened together with a plactic barb connector, as this will flex and withstand the heat or cold subjected to it. Each end, where the pressure of mpvement is, was secured by stainless hose clamps.  G H WALL