Author Topic: Brighter Beaver Headlights starring Roy Mueller  (Read 28916 times)

Bill Sprague

Brighter Beaver Headlights starring Roy Mueller
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
Ken Sair started a thread in January about how Roy Mueller was able to significantly improve the brightness level of the headlamps in his Contessa.  

Roy and I were at the Las Vegas ralley last month and he installed the upgrade on our Monterey.  Roy and I agreed it might be fun to video his procedure as a reference for others that might want brighter headlights.  

The basics are that on many motorhomes Beaver ran current from a 12 volt bus through the headlight switch, then the dimmer switch and out to the headlights.  Somewhere between the two switches there is enough resistance to cause a voltage drop and dim headlights.  

Roy rewires it so that the current coming from the dimmer switch controls one of two relays.  The relays then pass the 12 volt current from the existing headlight circuit breaker directly to the headlights.  

For parts, Roy used a couple of ordinary relays from an auto parts store, some wire and connectors.   All the work is done in the easily accesable electrical bay forward of the left front tire.  

I'm not Steven Spielberg and Roy is not Brad Pitt, but we got it done.  Roy did the work and while I tried to hold the camera steady.  It took me a couple of days to edit down to 18 minutes, but I think the result will be useful to anyone who owns a Beaver and doesn’t like the headlight level.  

YouTube has a 15 minute limit, so I broke it into two parts.  

Part 1 is here:  http://youtu.be/fmYyoILEhMY

Par 2 is here:  http://youtu.be/pIXez9bQNY0

If you want a DVD or a computer file to watch, email me with an address.

Thank you to Roy for upgrading my headlights, generously sharing his knowledge and letting my experiment with my new “videographer” hobby.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:15:39 PM by 5 »

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Brighter Beaver Headlights starring Roy Mueller
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
I just completed my relay installation and wow what a difference!

Thank you guys for posting now I might even travel at night.

Again thanks for the informative video it will allow us to leave a little earlier or later.  GREAT JOB!

Jeff Watt

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
Very good videos - even an electrically challenged person like myself can perform the upgrade.

One question though, mine has daytime running lamps (Canadian requirement). I suspect the Mueller upgrade does not or is not affected by this install, any thoughts?

Now if I can just get the lights to turn off after using wipers :) ......they eventually do so after two or three cycles of the switch and ignition.

Jeff

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
This is GREAT job, and very well done.  I downloaded it, and it works great on my Mac Laptop.  
HOWEVER, at the end, I learned that if the coach is multiplexed, there is a different process.
I don't know what that means, and haven't the slightest idea whether my 2008 Contessa is multiplexed or not.  OR if I even need to do this.  I hardly drive at night, so am not sure I even have a problem.

If any of you guys know clue me in please.

Leah
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:45:16 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Your '08 Contessa is multiplex-equipped, Leah, as you can tell from Bill's description.  But I'm not so sure you can tell by just comparing electrical bays;  I have multiplex and my bay looks very much like Bill's.  Whatever configuration difference there is isn't obvious, nor is it clear how a multiplex system would affect the headlight circuitry, and that is why I mentioned a second video would fill in the gap.  ;)

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:19:52 AM »
Joel, Ken Sair here. I have a multi-plexed coach and Roy made the modification on mine. I believe my coach was the first modification he did on a multi-plexed coach. It did take a little longer and that seemed to be the brainstorming side as to where which wires were where. After that is was the mechanics of adding the correct wires and relays.

So, it is possible to do an a multiplexed coach. Wow, what a difference.

Ken Sair 2007 Beaver Contessa
BAC members since 2006

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »
Bill, Ken, or Roy-

The question yet remains, not whether or not a multiplexed coach is treated differently in such a conversion, but in what respect a 12v. multiplex house system comes into play relative to the 12v. chassis headlight system.

?Joel ::)
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
Joel
I am with you......now that I got the process download to my laptop, it serves me no purpose as I have a multiplexed system.  SO how in the heck do we get this information for our coaches to make the fix????????

Keith Oliver

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 02:27:33 AM »
You guys are excited about this mod for all of your different Beavers, to the point you have me wondering just how bad your original lighting was.
In my case, I have only had my Beaver a year, I have only driven at night a few hours.  The first time, was with original equipment headlights, and they were hopeless.  Not knowing any better, I went to the auto pats store and bought some decent headlights, the kind with a separate halogen bulb.  That smartened the lighting up so much that I can't imagine having to do the Roy thing.  My lights are now just as bright as those on my Volvo, ie: bright Euro headlights.  Are not all Beaver headlights created equal?  Those of you  with later models, did they substitute poorer headlights when they went away from the sealed beams that were used in 98?  Does anyone have actual light output readings, lumens?

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 03:17:39 AM »
I think we all need to check the voltage at the back of the lamp. Do NOT disconnect the wires from the lamp when checking. I prefer also having the engine running that way you have the alternator feeding voltage to the lamps as if going down the road. One last thing are your lamps in adjustment? If you have above 12 volts then look at lamp adjustment.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 05:43:09 AM »
Keith, a word of warning.

I put halogens in my old coach and regretted it bigtime.  Yeah, they brightened up the road alright, but Halogens draw a ton more juice than the standard lamps that your wiring was designed for.  Mine burned up switches that weren't designed to handle the current.  

Check the current rating (amps) on your halogens, then that of the original lamps.  If there is much difference, I'd either go back to standards and rewire with relays so heavier wire carries more current to them, similar to what Roy does, or do the same with your halogens such that heavy enough wire gets the juice direct from a hot terminal bar to them without jeopardizing any component in between that's not big enough to handle it.

It's just a matter of time before one or a series of long enough night drives finally melts a connector or switch.  Then you suddenly lose headlights and are in the dark at speed, and/or you have a fire.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

George H. Wall

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
I went to the halogens and the very thing that Joel suggested happened!!  Check the voltage draw before doing the headlamp excgange!!!  Henry

Mark Bryant

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 11:01:33 PM »
To any one with a multiplexed system.

I just finished adding the relays to my 2006 Monterey with a multiplexed system. The only difference is the "Headlight"  CB is located on the left side of the relay strip, and is the eighth one down from the top CB8.

I tested to make sure the the lights "Brighten" with the jumper cable, as Roy did in the video. Took about 30 minutes to do, and no problems were encountered!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:04:05 PM by 615 »

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
Mark
So to be "absolutely clear, you did all of the steps that Roy did AND added/or changed just this step you mentioned?