Author Topic: Tire Temperature  (Read 20160 times)

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

Tire Temperature
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »
We all know that a tire that is running hot can be a problem.  I often check mine at rest stops with a laser temperature gun.  If you spot one that is noticeably hotter than the rest, you need to pay special attention to it.  

Found this on Amazon, its a great deal ($16.88) and it has good ratings.

HDE Temperature Gun Infrared Thermometer w/ Laser Sight

Use this link   http://amzn.com/B009RUPQGW

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:27:30 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Tire Temperature
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 02:24:18 AM »
If all else fails, I got mine back in 2007 at Sears.  It works pretty well.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:33:52 AM »
Some guy named Bentley gave me one of those Temperature guns for a present a few years back.  It has many uses.  Like checking the AC output vs intake,  Breaks or wheel temperature, refrigerator temperature.  Use your imagination.  The price Tim listed is good, and $5 less is even better.

Larry

Richard Cooper

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »
What is the guidance on temperatures considered normal for our tires after driving the coach for a couple hours?

I have this laser, but had to pay $25 for it.  ??)

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »
I don't think you have a laser.  You might have an IR meter with a laser pointer.  

I bought one.  Mine is a Craftsman.  I learned they do not measure actual temperature.  The measure reflected energy and "translate" to degrees of temperature.  Try putting a white plate and a black plate in the oven.  Take them out and point the ray gun at them.  The reflected temperature will be different because black reflects energy differently than black.  

So, when it comes to tires, the idea is to look for differences.  It makes no difference what energy my tires reflect to my IR thermometer.   It matters only what yours is doing.  As you walk around the coach, see if the tires and hubs match.  

Perhaps the most interesting time to do this is after a long down hill run.  If tire or wheel is significantly hotter than the rest, it is doing more than it's share of the work.  If it is significantly colder, it is doing less than it should.

After you get used to the IR gun, try the same technique with your hand.  The surprise to me was that, for relative differences, my hand works as well as the $50 meter.  Apparently our hands are pretty well trained by using them to test for shower temperature each day!

Sean Donohue

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:57:42 PM »
If you are going to use your hands, let me pass along a tip from back when I had to check aircraft for hot brakes after landing. Fire Chief taught us to use the back of our hands because it is more sensitive and the urge to grap is removed. The gun works better.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:31:48 AM »
Quote from: Sean Donohue
If you are going to use your hands, let me pass along a tip from back when I had to check aircraft for hot brakes after landing. Fire Chief taught us to use the back of our hands because it is more sensitive and the urge to grap is removed. The gun works better.
My Flight Engineer didn't show me that.  

Sean Donohue

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
We also used a wax like stick that we would use on the brakes. If it melted, the brakes were hot.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
I wish Tim would reply to this post I've made because he posted that he routinely checks his tires in rest areas with his gizmo for determining temperature.  

No one has answered my question.  So I'm asking again and all I want to hear is from those who use this device to check their tires.  What is the normal temperature from this device (whether it's accurate or not) to expect after driving the coach on highways, etc.?

George H. Wall

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »
It all depends on the OUTSIDE temperature!!! Can vary by 60-70 degrees from winter to summer.  

Richard Cooper

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:07 PM »
How the hell do I know if my tires are too hot or not using this device?  :-/

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »
All,
This thread seems (to me) to be an example of turning a simple procedure into a complicated one. Whether you use a laser or your hand, you are looking for a significant temperature difference (noticeably hotter). Unless you  are extremely unlucky, it will only be one tire or wheel. The actual temperature of the remaining tires / wheels is not the critical parameter, assuming tires are inflated to normal PSI range.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 11:48:38 PM »
I use such a device, as mentioned in a prior response.

George is right, Richard.  I think the question was answered.  You want us to give you a set temperature to look for and there is no such animal.  As Bill already explained, you use the unit to see if there is a tire running substantially hotter than the others, on both the coach and the toad.  

The temp can vary across the surface of a tire and from one side of the vehicle to the other, if wind or sun are strong on one side for example.  You measure generally the same area of each tire and a few degrees difference among tires is acceptable.  An unusually large difference in temperature between one tire and the rest is indicative of dangerously low pressure that needs addressing before further travel.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Schneider

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 11:49:44 PM »
Richard,
I have been using one of these temp sensors for years. What you are looking for is consistency between tires. The specific temp will vary depending on weather conditions and not what you want to focus on. You usually have the sun on one side of the coach and shade on the other. In this situation the temp on the sunny side will be slightly higher but fairly consistent along that side. What you are looking for is one tire that is reading significantly higher that the rest on that side. You can have a few degrees difference on your duals between the inside and outside tire, especially in direct sun. Anything more than a few degres is indicating a developing problem.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
Quote from: Richard Cooper
How the hell do I know if my tires are too hot or not using this device?  :-/
Richard,

Next week I'll be driving to Quartzsite.  I will try to remember to point the meter at the tires and give you a number.

Bill