Author Topic: trans fluid  (Read 3713 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
trans fluid
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:07:31 AM »
First time for everything.  When I checked the Trans fluid (hot +140), it indicated Low 3, so I thought no big deal we just add some fluid.  But I had no idea that this was a major project. On an '06 Pat, you need to pull the floor from the bedroom to have access to the filler!!  What a bad idea.

The job is really tough, as 4 of the 10 machine screws had been stripped by who ever did the last Trans service.
The new question is how do you replace the stripped out nuts that just spin?.  I had to cut the heads off the screws to get
the flooring up.  Does anyone have a trick on how to replace the old nuts?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:44:52 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

Re: trans fluid
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »
When my friend Wally Kimble, was alive and we drove to Newfoundland together, he had a transmission leak.  Until they found the bedroom access, it took three people on his '06 Thunder.  One laid on the engine and held the hose in the filler, another held the funnel and the other end of the hose, and the third poured!  Wally was very happy when he found out about the bedroom access panel!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:46:47 AM by 14 »

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:11:30 AM »
On many transmissions, the  only way to add fluid is to feed it down the dipstick pipe.  Is there some reason this wouldn't work for you?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:32:10 AM »
Hi Keith your right the fuild must be added at the drip stick filler, thats the easy part of the job the issue is most of the weld nuts the hold the bed room deck are stripped or missing so I must do the repair to install the floor panel.  
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Thankfully up to this point, I haven't been faced with this problem. I did find out when I bought the coach where the filler was located and learned that it can't be accessed through the pannel on the floor of the closet but actually requires lifting the extra flooring in the bedroom itself. A definate PITA.

Not having had the engine cover off I can't be sure, but I suspect that you can see the welded nuts on the bottom frame area that the bolts thread into. If that is so either knock them off (with a metal chisel) or grind them off (with an air grinder). Then use blind fasteners for the new installation. There are several different types out there that will act similar in nature to a plasterboard wall anchor. After it is tightened the first time it will remain in place and last until someone strips out the threads in it ...