Author Topic: SCS Central Air Conditioning Filter  (Read 6554 times)

Richard Cooper

SCS Central Air Conditioning Filter
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:34:54 AM »
My Marquis 2001 has the SCS Central Air Conditioning.  I've found the info on this website about the air conditioning system and references to keeping the filter clean.  

I I think I've located the return filter --- below the stove top -- left side near the floor.

The instructions refer to 3 different types of filters and I don't know which I have:

a)  Glass filter (throwaway); b) Aluminum mesh; c) Plastic fiber.

As I recall in looking at it ---- it was not disposable.  It looked permanent to me.

The size doesn't look like anything I've seen in a store so I guess I have something that can be washed out, dried and replaced.  

What do you all do with yours and how often do you attend to it?

Jeremy Parrett

Re: SCS Central Air Conditioning Filter
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:09:12 AM »
Hi,
On my coach , if you look above the 2 x 14 inch ducts outside under the main slide out you will find a panel.It  has 8 self tapping screws attaching it to the a/c  housing .  Behind this panel you will find the return  air filter tray secured by 2 bolts .The air filter slides out after unlatching this tray and folding it down.  The air filter is 12 inches by 18 inches by 1 inch thick. The reusable type are useless. I use the Accumulair Diamond 1 inch (Merv 13) and change it monthly on the road.
 I buy mine on EBay . www.allergyfilterdepot.com  Make sure you get the actual size.  Measure your filter and order the exact size.  Good customer relations here......any doubts call them.

Hope this helps.    Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:02:21 PM by 4115 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:16:09 AM »
Richard,

You can see the filter from above under the cabinets, but you access it outside on the driver side, through the water/sewer service bay door.  It is located on top of the AC box in the ducting.  Flip down a door and slide out the filter.  It is an odd size, so buy a larger one and cut it down and tape the cut end.  Use a pleated fiberglass filter, and replace it when it seems to be blocked.  The time interval depends on how often you use it.  It pays to look on top of it from time to time for objects (like place mats, plastic bags and pot holders) that have fallen out of the back of drawers above.

Larry

Richard Cooper

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »
So the return filter has nothing to do with any of this?

I am 2 hours away from my coach -- and won't be able to look into any of this until July 1.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
Richard,
This IS the return air filter. Visible by removing the drawers under the stove;accessible outside under the aft end of the main slide. As Larry says keep an eye on it and watch out for things falling onto it from the drawers !!
I am working on a bulkhead to close off the filter area to prevent things falling onto it ,so it breathes through the grill / louvered door at the aft end of the galley.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:31:23 PM »
Quote from: Jeremy Parrett
Hi,
On my coach , if you look above the 2 x 14 inch ducts outside under the main slide out you will find a panel.It  has 8 self tapping screws attaching it to the a/c  housing .  Behind this panel you will find the return  air filter tray secured by 2 bolts .The air filter slides out after unlatching this tray and folding it down.  The air filter is 12 inches by 18 inches by 1 inch thick. The reusable type are useless. I use the Accumulair Diamond 1 inch (Merv 13) and change it monthly on the road.
 I buy mine on EBay . www.allergyfilterdepot.com  Make sure you get the actual size.  Measure your filter and order the exact size.  Good customer relations here......any doubts call them.

Hope this helps.    Jeremy

Yes, this helps tremendously.  Thank you.  I had lost this thread and just found it again.  I'm going to do what you do and get the filters like you do.

Today I accessed my filter from inside the kitchen and cleaned it (re-usuable blue mesh kind).  I just knew there had to be a more direct way of getting to the filter and servicing it.

Do you get the exact size 12x18x1 or the 12x18x1 that is actually 11.5x17.5x1?
http://www.allergyfilterdepot.com/search.aspx?find=12x18X1

This is near the size of mine.  I measured the cut-up reusable one I have and it was between 11.5 and 11.75 by 18-1/2 long x 1.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 04:12:43 AM »
without checking the coach which is a not here...in storage.......my first order was wrong by 1/2 inch.  I would measure your tray and go with the length nearest to it.  I have added some door sealing foam to the tray edge to make a tight fit.   Try calling the company. I found them extremely helpfull.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
The website at www.allergyfilterdepot.com does not offer custom filters.

The website at www.filters-now.com does offer custom filters.  Not promoting them, but until 8/31/12 they offer 10% discount and free shipping using promotion code BLOWOUT

I'll let you know if I like these filters --- ordered 4 of them as Accumulair Platinum 11 merv for $50 -- custom sized as 11-1/2 x 18-1/2 x 1