Author Topic: Fridge Ice Maker water line brittle  (Read 16916 times)

Bryan Quinn

Re: Fridge Ice Maker water line brittle
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »
I agree, Dick.  Plus, I've plumbed a couple houses with copper in years past, and a coulple with pex (similar to this plastic Ice Maker Water Line), and after working with the pex I swore I would never work with copper again.  :)

Keith Oliver

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 04:05:34 AM »
I too have a 98 Contessa, new to me one year ago.  The ice maker tubing was fractured at the access door and for a couple of feet up it split when I put pressure on it.  I replaced with plastic that I found at Home Depot.  So far it has worked just fine, and the original may well have been ok for 13 years.

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »
Does anyone have experience with replacing the icemaker water line on an 05 Monterey? For the third time I have a tiny pinhole leak in the line where it goes up behind the fridge (accessible from panel outside of coach). I spliced in a coupler but another pinhole leak starts about 6 months later. Thinking about Ed's silicone hose suggestion so also wondering how much in footage do I need to order and what ID line, suggested parts etc. Thanks in advance!

Bob Jae

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 11:33:05 PM »
On my coach the line up the back of the refrigerator is not under any pressure.  When the ice tray needs filled the solenoid opens and sends water up it and into the try.  It does remain full of water but not under pressure.  It could freeze and there is a heat strip on it.

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
According to BCS I can replace the line by crawling into the basement compartment and although I used foil after the first time to insulate the line from the refridgerator heat apparently the damage to the line was already done.

Edward Buker

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
Larry,

This silicone hose in 10ft lengths is not crazy expensive for the small sizes. I used a piece on my Aqua Hot Radiator surge tank and I have not had a problem with plastic deterioration due to heat since. If I went through the trouble to replace the hose that gets exposed to heat and fails I would consider silicone if the fittings would work and the pressure was compatible.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Silicone-Rubber-Tubing-Grade/dp/B003TJ9YQU

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »
I replaced mine in an 01Contessa after it split near the burner. The only sections that were brittle were near the burner itself. Even thought the area behind the coils gets warm, the tubing was in good shape. I suspect the fans keep the air from getting so hot as to dry out the tubing. The tubing not exposed to heat was in good shape also. Silicone tubing is a good solution in any case as it will also resist abrasion much better than the nylon. Ah, another project for the Marquis...
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp