Author Topic: Tow Bar Release  (Read 4932 times)

Edward Buker

Tow Bar Release
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »
One of the current posts brought up tow bar handle release and it jogged my memory.... I should pass along a couple of things that I learned at an FMCA rally in VT this week. I stopped by the Blue Ox booth and started a conversation about handle release and that depending on the slope, angle, forces in general, the handles can be jammed. The Blue Ox rep indicated that if you are alone take a pair of small Bungie cords (loop type with the balls on them) and go around the tow bar and handles to maintain a downward force on them. Then start the vehicle up and turn the steering wheel lock to lock and back to center. During that process he indicated that the stresses would shift side to side and each of the handles at some point would release . You could do the same thing if you had two people involved by just holding down on both handles during the turning process.

I told him that I had never read that in the instructions and he said the info was not there, just something he had learned over the years. For those of us who have had occasion to use more pressure than we would like, this should be a big help. I have not tried this technique but it makes sense that shifting the front end using the steering would likely work. I'm guessing that you would not want the brakes on while doing this to allow the toad movement to be maximized. If anyone tries this let the forum folks know if it is helpful. We are in a campsite for most of the summer and won't be towing for awhile. It may be a little hard on the power steering pump while on pavement but on balance less of an issue than trying to force a handle down. On gravel probably no issue at all.

The other Blue Ox offering was that for $25 they took your Blue Ox tow bar and unbolted all of the swivel points, cleaned all the mating surfaces, replaced all the nylon washers, pulled the boots, cleaned and greased the shafts, adjusted the handle tension, checked for wear, reassembled it with all new lock nuts, tensioning all the swivel points properly. It took about 45 minutes and I thought it was well worth the piece of mind given they know the weak and wear points to check beyond the general maintenance. I was a happy camper....

Later Ed
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:34:56 PM by 910 »

Bill Sprague

Re: Tow Bar Release
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »
I've used the steering wheel technique many times, but without the bungee.  If a bar and lock are too tight, I rotate the steering wheel and try again.  If that doesn't work, I rotate the steering wheel the other way.  Next time, I'll try the bungee.  

Both Blu Ox and Roadmaster go to major rallies and service tow bars.  It used to be free!  But, $25 is not much considering how much faith we put in those.  They also used to walk the campsite and inspect your towbar.  If you had a little round sticker on your tail light, you passed.  If you  needed service, you got a note on your door.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »
Ed, I dunno about Blue Ox, but grease on my Roadmaster's shafts is a no-no.  An occasional cleaning and maybe dry silicone, but nothing to attract dirt.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »
Joel,

Good point about your tow bar design..... The Blue Ox design on my tow bar (Alladin) has a set of rubber bellows over the extending shafts that seal them using plastic tie wraps at either end. It is a good system and the few times that I have cleaned and lubed the shafts they have had no dirt involvement, it is just a case of the grease getting old and needing some solvent cleaning to remove the old grease and then replenishing with some fresh grease.

The tech had been with Blue Ox a long time and he had this maintenance procedure down pat ... no wasted motion and the right tools and parts in hand.

Later Ed

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:14:26 AM »
Two years ago at the GLASS FMCA rally in Michigan, we had our Blue Ox serviced for $25.00. Does anyone know how often they should be looked at? We've gone about 6,000 miles since then.

Thanks,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:02:38 AM »
At least anually check the swivel point fittings for play and tighten them accordingly. Check welds for cracks, boots for damage, and there are also some dowel pins used in some models that you should check for wear and play. The Blue Ox rep recommended that the full service and inspection be done every 10k miles.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:31:55 PM by 910 »