Author Topic: Fresh water tank draining  (Read 4167 times)

Robert Mathis

Fresh water tank draining
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »
When preparing to leave on a short trip yesterday, I found my fresh water tank completely empty. I put 20 gallons or so in and it immediately started dripping from a line in the front of the service bay by the hot and cold drain valves. The water pump works but doesn't shut off when pressure is reached. i haven't had a chance to empty the storage bay and access the water pump. I am now hooked up to city water and will try to work on this over the weekend. I do have another pump that was factory reconditioned when I replaced it a couple of years ago. Could the tank be syphoning out thru the lines? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Gerald Farris

Re: Fresh water tank draining
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »
Robert,
Do not assume that the water pump is defective until you put a reasonable amount of water in the tank and then pump at least three or four gallons with the pump to be sure that there is no air in the pump system. Sorry I can not tell you what your leak is without seeing the coach. Could it be a pump leak?

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
The electric actuator for the drain valve on mine slipped in a way that it wouldn't fully close.  It is mounted in a way that it is hard to reach and I didn't succeed at tightening the mounting screws.  I ended up 'reinforcing' it with stainless wire.  It looks like a bad repair job, but nobody can see it and it has worked for 6 years.  

Robert Mathis

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
Thanks, guys. I am going to try to look at it this afternoon. The coach is in Steinhatchee for the scalloping season, and I need to go over to Tallahassee tomorrow for three parole hearings. ( I am in charge of a Homicide Prosecution unit for the State Attorney and want to object to these guys getting paroled). It's only an hour from the park where the coach is located to Tallahasse, and 3 1/2 hours from home, so I'll go over after work today, try to check some problems out, then drive to the Capital tomorrow for the hearings.