Author Topic: Adding basement TV on articulating arm  (Read 4701 times)

Richard Cooper

Adding basement TV on articulating arm
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:38:48 AM »
I don't presently have a basement tv, but want to add one.  I've got a small LCD 19 inch tv and I have a sturdy articulating arm mount for it.

There is a bay to the right of the battery bay that has a very limited depth to it due to a large blockage of mass.  That mass, for lack of a better term, obviously has something important behind it.  I don't know what it is.  It's got several chrome screws that could be removed as they are very accessible.  I've got pictures attached which show this.  On the adjoining wall to the front of this mass is the connections for a tv --- coaxial output and electric connections.

How do I install a tv here that weighs about 15 pounds?  My mount will hold much more weight than that, however.  

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Adding basement TV on articulating arm
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:14:56 AM »
Richard,

That is an access door to the holding tanks, basement heater, and a lot of plumbing and electrical gear.  You probably do not want to block it.  Although it has 8 screws, they are into plywood and not very secure.  If you have clearance , you may attach the TV mount to the ceiling or the wall to the left.  Whatever your decision, make it removable for the access door.  You may want to remove the 8 screws to inspect the area.

Larry

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »
If you take the cover off you will find that your black and gray tanks are behind that panel!  You might be able to gain a few inches of depth if you want to consider removing that cover and reworking the enclosure.  Short of that I would suggest mounting the TV on the enclosure's sidewall so that it slides out and pivots.  There are such mounts available to buy.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:45:36 AM »
If you like the location and the angle it would be very easy to pull that plywood cover and drill 4 mounting holes for the VESA mount on the TV through the plywood. Mount the TV such that the row of top and bottom screws on that access panel are accessible with the TV mounted on the panel.  Leaving the two center side screws off remount the access plate using the top and bottom rows of screws so it is easily removable. This would be a simple install and the advantages are that you do not have to worry about the mount moving and damaging the TV, it is very secure and compact and well back in the coach for some shading if it is brite out. That TV is light weight and that panel would be more than adequate strength wise. Just one more idea....

Later Ed

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:24:14 PM »
Richard

I used an extending arm marketed for computer monitors able to support a 25 lb screen.  My 19 inch weights less than that.  I bolted it to the lower side wall using a backing plate to support it.  I had to remove the useless winterizing tank and shelf that was in that location, between the holding tanks and outside door.  I am able to swing the TV out and angle it for watching.  I also put a small sound bar on the floor.

Dennis