Author Topic: Fan Bracket Problem  (Read 31751 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Fan Bracket Problem
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 06:56:56 AM »
Thank you Ed, I know that all of you must be getting tired hearing about all of this also. Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to visit with the mechanic tomorrow. They were already closed when I discovered this concern. You are so right though, we are getting close to the end!!
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Edward Buker

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
Larry,

You have a tough problem on your hands and it is much easier to write than to do and deal with what you have been faced with. Good job on your part.

In your 9841 jpg of the new bracket with the reinforcement, it looks to me like a cut could be made in the center of the vertical section that comes from the hydraulic motor mounting plate up to the next bend. A plate could be welded on the outside of each of the 4 sections that would add any offset that you would like if it comes to that. Both sides would be welded and the inside weld ground flush for clearance issues.

I'm hoping that this is not needed but that is one idea that I think would get you there if it comes to that. Your welder may have experience that would modify it differently but that is what comes to mind here. Looking at the bracket/motor mounting in place now now and visualizing the bracket modification and checking clearances that would be involved would be in order before any changes.  Keep the faith you are almost there in the scheme of things.

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »
Larry,

On the fan side of the bracket there seems to be a formed piece of steel that is shaped like the fan motor. Is that a steel spacer that came with the fan motor or possibly a spacer with a Monaco PN? It looks like a much better spacer than any washer arrangement if that is what it is. Perhaps you could get several more of these plates if that would work. If it is a spacer and you choose to use some washers for additional spacers I would leave this plate against the hydraulic motor and add spacers between the steel fan mount and thishydraulic motor interface plate. The hydralic motor needs to rest against an adequate support plate if what i am seeing is correct. These are some thoughts and I know the problem has to be solved by the folks involved there so stick with it.

Later Ed

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 05:22:52 PM »
Yes Ed I see what you mean. I did not notice that spacer before. I'm on my way over to the shop now and will ask about this. Thanks again Ed for all your help.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 07:32:44 PM »
Well, the mechanic thinks I am worried about nothing. It's only close right at the center of the bracket, (where the motor bolts up) near the leading edge corner of the fan blades, then the clearance gets much greater from there. He thinks it will be fine but just to make sure I think I'll get a second opinion.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Edward Buker

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 04:27:27 AM »
Larry,

I do not have any experience that would help with that dimension.

The hydraulic motor is fixed to the mounting frame so if that vibrates or flexes a little the fan assembly should move with it. I guess we are mostly worried about fan blade flexing here and if that region of the blade could ever flex enough in the direction of the mount to make contact. How far is the outer edge of the blades from the radiator face on the closest blade if things are not perfectly planar. I would assume that the radiator to blade spacing is more than adequate.

A second opinion certainly would not hurt. If you can find out who makes the fan assembly they may be able to help sort out how much movement can be expected in that section of the blade. I think the flex based on air load as the fan RPM increases is away from the bracket, is that the way you see it Larry?

Later Ed

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
Yes Ed, that is what I've been told, the blades flex away from the bracket. If there is a way to move the fan out even a little more it would make me feel more comfortable. Since the tightest clearance is right at the corner of the fan blade the feeling is if it does make any contact it will not granade the blade but it will rub the paint off of the bracket at that point. So the mechanic says to just monitor it and if I see evidence of rubbing then I need to have something done. That's all very good if you were not the one who just spent lots of money to fix all the previous damage. So, I am going to seek another opinion  from a mechanic and if he thinks I'm worried about nothing then I will accept it and get on with life. I sure appreciate all your thoughts Ed. I do know that this bracket is so much better than the first one. Everything looks great as far as that goes. Anyway I am really hoping the mechanic is right about this. I really do want to stop being so anxious and concerned about this. Anyway Ronda and I put about 175 miles on the new bracket. We are in Palmer, Alaska for the state fair with the Beaver. After visiting With the mechanic I decided to go ahead and drive it over. So far everything is looking great! Thanks again Ed, I hope to meet you someday in our travels.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:01:21 PM by 3358 »
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Edward Buker

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
So glad that you are back on the road. In time if there is no evidence of scraping you will gain confidence in the repair. One very good thing is that the metal arm that is close to the blade has rounded corners and with the direction of the blade travel it precludes any impact of a blade. The blade would pass by and lightly scrape and flex or wear a bit it would seem.

I think the extra welding and boxing of the end of the u channel arms should add a lot of durability. I suspect that the original fail was right where the  Uchannel arm ends and becomes a flat or at one of the 90 degree bends. That is a bit of a guess but it appears to be the weak point and I think vibration over time caused a metal fatigue crack. This box channel of metal is very strong and should limit any harmful level of vibration to a great extent.

In the meantime you may be able to hunt down one of those steel hydraulic motor spacers just in case and have it on board if the need ever arises in the future. (if that was indeed a spacer)

Larry, you should be very proud of seeing this one through, it was definitely not an easy problem to resolve and you went the extra mile to not just replace the fan bracket with one just like what had already failed. Enjoy your time in Alaska. Safe travels and hope we do meet somewhere down the road. Next year is our west coast trip so you never know....

Later Ed

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
That would be great Ed! We will be hanging out in Southern California and some in Arizona. Would love to meet up somewhere if you're in the area. Thanks again for your advice. It was invaluable in helping me design a better bracket with the help of radiator supply house. By the way, the first one they installed in Canada was definitely not going last long. It was evident once it was removed the arms were not holding up. Take care my friend and safe, unevntful travels to you also.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »
Well, I took the Beaver to NC CAT in Anchorage. There service tech said besides the bracket being to close to the fan there are other issues like its not in the proper position in the shroud. They said in order to really make it right they are going to have to remove the cooling fan bracket again and also remove the shroud. Then they can have their fabricator rework the bracket and shroud on the bench to get the bracket to fit correctly. Estimated cost is an additional 3200.dollars. Now I'm into this whole repair over 16,000 dollars. I told them above all else I want this issue to end! Make sure all the problems are corrected and the fix is a "Fort Knox" fix. They said their fabricator/ welder is very good and will make it right. So, here we go again, I hope this is the end of this as I'm sure many of you do.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 06:20:53 PM »
Larry,
I hope that they are going to gold plate it when done at NO to charge to you!!
GOOD LUCK THIS TIME!

Edward Buker

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 05:25:38 AM »
Larry,

Seems like a lot of money but it also sounds like they are doing the work correctly. Hopefully it will go quicker than expected and come in under budget. If you would never be comfortable behind the wheel, until you are satisfied that the bracket is well designed and installed properly, then you have to resolve the issue. This is insurance against another $12000 radiator loss....in that respect it is a wise investment. I wish this had been all easier but for sure this should bring the problem to an end. If you could post photos of the final bracket before installation, that may help others if they find the need to redesign a current bracket in the future.

Later Ed

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
Thank you Leah and Ed, I will post pictures of the final outcome. They should have it ready to pick up tomorrow. You are right Ed, glad I took it to CAT for a second opinion. As they inspected it they noticed several issues that needed corrected to make it right. They assured me that they will warranty and stand behind their work and the bracket when they are done. I will be so happy to be done with this. I warned my wife I may break out singing Hallelujah and dancing!!! I'm so thankful for all your input and encouragement Ed. Thanks for everything!!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 05:40:25 PM »
Larry
I guess if they can't "gold plate it" their standing by their work and warranty will have to do.  Have a nice cool one when you get home with coach.

Leah

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
Thanks Leah, we plan to be heading south again soon. Winter is in the air up here. I'm ready to head out of here and go play in warmer weather!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine