Author Topic: Fan Bracket Problem  (Read 31760 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Fan Bracket Problem
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2012, 01:22:39 AM »
This is what NC CAT found when they removed my cooling fan, motor, and bracket. As you can see the fan hub was rubbing against the charge air cooler bracket and the fan was hitting the bolts on the CAC bracket. Result is my just installed in June cooling fan being destroyed again! NC CAT is getting a new bracket configured out of my old bracket and I have a new cooling fan ordered again from BCS.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2012, 01:24:28 AM »
This is the CAC bracket damage. Service Tech said it was not bad enough to worry about.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2012, 01:28:26 AM »
This is the new bracket that the fabricator came up with at NC CAT. I asked them to put gussets on the corner welds. Other than that I think it's much better. What do you think. It's just tack welded in places now, they were waiting for my approval before finish welding it.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 01:29:33 AM »
Another shot of new bracket
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »
New fan has arrived in Anchorage so this should finally be done today!!!!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
Does anyone know if these fans are rebuildable? Just wondering if I should go to the trouble of keeping the old fan and having new blades installed. The hub doesn't look damaged bad enough to throw away. Any thoughts?
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Wayne Tull

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2012, 05:57:17 AM »
What would you think about two more attachment points (top and bottom) to spread the stress out more?

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2012, 06:09:16 AM »
Yes!! This issue is finally done!!!! I apologize to all of you who are as sick of hearing about this as I am about living it for the last 3 months. This is the bracket the CAT shop in Anchorage designed from the last RSH bracket. The only part of the RSH bracket that is left in this is the center portion. The rest was fabricated by a CAT employee and he got it right. The installation is correct and there is plenty of clearance from the bracket and the radiator. Thank you all for your patience and help. My wish for all of you is that you never have to live this nightmare and expense. This is Larry Fisk, finally signing off from this issue!!!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2012, 06:39:02 AM »
Wayne, I think that would probably have helped all right. The bracket is already done and installed and it already looks so much better and stronger than the previous 2 brackets. I feel pretty confident that this one will definitely hold up a lot longer than the previous ones. It actually looks a lot stronger than the original design that came on the coach and failed after 58,000 miles. I am so thankful to CAT in Anchorage for getting it right and resolving this 3 month issue. I'm also very thankful that the damage done to my fan that was installed in June did not completely fail catastrophically and take out my radiator again.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Edward Buker

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
Larry,

Square tube is so much stronger, that bracket is certainly more than what is needed. You should never have to worry again about the fan. Just get back to enjoying the coach.

This still leaves a problem for other coach owners of this vintage as to what bracket will work and what the PN is. The bracket pictured in jpg 6317 looks to be a well made original bracket that was a better design than what Larry's original was and what he was able to obtain as a replacement. I think it has rectangular tube around the center hub area by the hydraulic motor bracket.

If anyone has any interfaces within Navistar/Monaco perhaps they could forward that photo and see if that print could be found. You do not want to go through what Larry did and it seems likely that some of the coaches still have a bracket with a weak design in the field.

Later Ed

George Harwell

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2012, 02:06:16 AM »

Larry, I am amazed at your ability to remain positive throughout this entire scenario of trials and errors. I realize it has been a long and very expensive ordeal but you have used it to keep the rest of us informed and for that you are to be commended. The final mount made by Cat sure appears much superior from the original factory mount and should permanently solve the problem.

The rest of the year is yours to enjoy so take a deep breath and head south. Have a safe trip south, you've earned it.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2012, 04:43:31 AM »
Thank you George, I appreciate your comment.  My wife probably has another opinion about my positive attitude..LOL. Yes, my whole reason for keeping everyone updated on this experience was because I wanted to let everyone know that replacing this bracket is not just a matter of ordering it. We had no idea when all the repairs were done in Canada the bracket installed was not fabricated correctly. I have been in contact with radiator supply house and beaver coach sales about all of this. Hopefully RSH will figure it out and begin making quality brackets. I am a little disappointed that RSH has not offered any reimbursement, especially noting the damage created the second time by their bracket. But I'm so done with this I am going to just let it go and again enjoy the coach. Thanks again George and everyone for all you encouragement and input. I am so grateful its over!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Lloyd Hall

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »
This is the type of bracket that is used on the 97 patriot. It is very strong.