Author Topic: Feeding gas to a grill on the right side  (Read 24336 times)

Richard Cooper

Feeding gas to a grill on the right side
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:14:50 AM »
My LP gas tank is on the left side of coach and I would like to have a small gas grill to use on the patio (right) side.  Do any of you feed it from the LP tank?  How do you do that?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:37:44 PM by 7165 »

Joel Weiss

Re: Feeding gas to a grill on the right side
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:56:56 AM »
On mine there's a low pressure line on the right side that served the refrigerator.  Now that I have a residential fridge the pipe has been plugged.  I've considered putting in a quick connect and altering my Weber to operate from it.  

I've been researching the issue and pretty much all LP appliances run on the same pressure on the low side of the regulator.  If you can remove the regulator from the grill or other appliance it can be operated from the MH's low pressure line.

I realize this isn't what you asked for, but it is a way of providing a usable LP connection on the right side.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
I installed an adapter between the valve and the regulator to attach a high pressure line to my grill.  It has the female adaptor which matches the small propane cylinder, and I bought 12 feet of hose to attach the grill.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 05:21:45 PM by 14 »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 05:21:27 PM »
Joel's method works, but I have yet to see it on a Beaver.  Other brands of coaches I've seen have a tee and a quick connector somewhere on the patio side.  Usually, the coach came with a BBQ that does not have a regulator.  But, has he said, you can remove the regulator from the Weber or other grill.

I've been doing it Robert's way for most of the 8 years we've had our Beaver.  I used an adapter tee from Camping World marketed by Mr. Heater.  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-adapter-tee/30336

Because of space at the propane tank outlet, I had to adapt the adapter with some brass 45 degree elbows to get it to fit.  I can post a photo next week if you want.

From the adapter I ran a 12 foot hose across the motorhome, along the flap brackets to an open space under the slide.  When I set up the BBQ, I reach under, pull out the hose and attach the BBQ.

Recently we bought an Arizona RV lot.  I decided to add a fireplace.   I bought enough extension hoses at Wall Mart to run to an additional tee at the back end.  Now we can BBQ around the smokeless fire pit with fake logs.  

Richard Cooper

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »
I don't yet own a portable grill for RVing, but considering some.  But after reading the specs on one in particular -- a Cuisinart CGG-180T, I see that you can use the small cylinders that come in either 14.1 or 16.4 ounce of propane.  

This grill says propane and I have LP Gas in my coach.  Will the LP gas work the same as propane?  Hate to ask such a question, but I don't have any experience with this.  But for ease of use, etc. I suppose buying the small cylinders is the way to go, right?  But before each use of either -- you have to do a soap bubble test to make sure there are no leaks near the flame of your grill.  Do all of you do that each time you hook up a cylinder to your portable grill?

Which portable grill do you recommend?  What features should I look for other than weight?

Thanks!  I'm in the market for a portable gas grill to use outside my coach.  I don't need anything to cook a whole hog --- just a couple steaks, chicken breasts, etc. --- only large enough for a few people.

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »
Richard,

Your coach uses propane so the fuel is fine to use for a gas grill. Unless you barbeque an awful lot I would not go to the trouble and expense of piping in a system. The cylinders can be bought in groups of three on sale quite redily and are vey convenient. It keeps the grill portable and not every campsite is the same as to where you want to put it.

If I was stationary in my camping, cooked a lot on the grill, and my plan was to leave it all set up for long periods then I might go to the expense and trouble of a hose system. As far as a soap bubble test, if you had the hose system put in then it should be bubble tested by the installer. For the portable cylinders just be sure there is a rubber gasket seat in the screw on regulator and you should be fine.

The grill is a matter of choice and up to you. There are many good ones out there. I look for small and easy to clean as a priority given I do not want a moldy stinky grill in the bay. Some people also get a small refillable cylinder and use that with a premade six foot hose. This is still portable but gives a little more capacity and is refillable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=5+lb+propane+tank&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3283346687&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=135174297375788932&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_335yyjof59_b

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
The Weber Q series is popular because:
-It has a cast iron grate that, when preheated for a few minutes, will actually make a steak or burgers sizzle a little and put grill marks on it.
-It does well at lower temperatures for chicken.
-The bowl shape bottom facilitates having the drippings flow into a disposable pan.
-The bowl shape bottom is easy to clean by scraping the burned bits to the bottom tray.
-It comes in three sizes:  small, medium and large.  The small is perfect for a couple of steaks, some chicken parts or some fish.
-It is made out of sturdy cast aluminium, not sheet metal.
-It has good accessories available.  The storage bag is perfect for containing the smell and BBQ bits when storing in the motorhome.
-Parts are readily available, if needed.

I have two.  A small 100 model in the motorhome and a large 300 model at the condo.  

That said, another fun alternative is the Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi.  It is the right size for a motorhome, uses real charcoal and cleans out with a whisk broom.   http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-Pre-Seasoned-Sportsmans-Charcoal/dp/B00022OK2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344870684&sr=8-2&keywords=lodge+hibachi+cover

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 02:44:49 PM »
I have the Weber Q that has a thermometer in the front lid area. I think it is a 200 model. Love it.

For fuel, I bought the hose/adapters at Camping world for connecting to the coach propane bottle on the right side of the coach. I run the hose under the coach, when staying in a place for longer than a day or so camping.  For over night type stays, I use a small propane throw away cannister.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:12:06 PM by 14 »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
Quote from: Phil N Barb Rodriguez
I have the Weber Q that has a thermometer in the front lid area. I think it is a 200 model. Love it.
When I bought mine, only the 300 had the thermometer.  I have the 100 model in the motorhome and wanted a thermometer for it.  I phoned Weber parts, said I needed a replacement for a 300, bought it and drilled a hole for it in the 100.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:17:04 PM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
When I bought mine, only the 300 had the thermometer.  I have the 100 model in the motorhome and wanted a thermometer for it.  I phoned Weber parts, said I needed a replacement for a 300, bought it and drilled a hole for it in the 100.

I wonder if that would also work to get the little fold out wings.  It would be nice to upgrade mine to a thermometer and shelves.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 01:03:21 AM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis

I wonder if that would also work to get the little fold out wings.  It would be nice to upgrade mine to a thermometer and shelves.

I melted my fold out wings.  Don't miss them a bit.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
What do you all think of this grill for $120 vs the Weber Q 120 for $170.  Also, how easy is clean up with these little grills before you put it back into your basement storage?  Do you put it in a leak proof bag of some kind?  There has to be grease or food residue you can't seem to clean thoroughly out in the wild vs being at home.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CGG-200-All-Foods-Portable-Tabletop/dp/B001TOWLTO/ref=xs_gb_dsd_D_A3IXLEZL3EL0PP?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=313767801&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=21&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PGB9JDF8BTE2WHVNRZA

Joel Weiss

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 06:33:38 PM »
The Cuisinart does look nice; we've been very pleased with the Q100.  As for storage, all I do is wipe off the outside of the grill before putting it away and clean the drip pan (or put in a new disposable liner) if it appears to need it.  If I've been using it a lot I will run it for a while at high temperature to carbonize all the residues inside the unit.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
The Cuisinart does look nice; we've been very pleased with the Q100.  As for storage, all I do is wipe off the outside of the grill before putting it away and clean the drip pan (or put in a new disposable liner) if it appears to need it.  If I've been using it a lot I will run it for a while at high temperature to carbonize all the residues inside the unit.

Ditto.  Once in a while I'll disassemble and clean real good.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
I know I will regret it if I don't get the Weber.  They seem to have the market wrapped up as their dealers are all holding firm on pricing.