Author Topic: Rhino coat for the front of the coach  (Read 6451 times)

Keith Cooper

Rhino coat for the front of the coach
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »
I remember reading about someone in Bend who will spray a product like Rhino  on the front of the coach and match the colors to the paint  on the front of the coach. Does anyone know who does this type of work in Bend?

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Rhino coat for the front of the coach
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:47:51 PM »
You can look up Tom Fadale in the directory.  He had the front of their motorhome done in Bend.  I think Jim Sizemore of RV Outfitters gave him the number of the person who did it.  I don't know if Jeff Spear at Bend RV Repair does the front, but he did my roof.  Their numbers are in the Beaver Tales.
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Don and Kathy DuCharme

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:10:25 AM »
Roy, what did they use on your roof?  We are beginning to get a fair amount of oxidation on the roof and white streaks on the sides when it rains.  Looking for a solution.
Don
07 Contessa
C9;400HP

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:42:58 AM »
Quote from: Don and Kathy DuCharme
Roy, what did they use on your roof?  We are beginning to get a fair amount of oxidation on the roof and white streaks on the sides when it rains.  Looking for a solution.
Don

Has anyone had experience with the fiberglass paint being marketed by Dicor? I've been considering having it put on my roof for similar reasons.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
They used rhino coat and colored it white.
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
Joel I applied the Dicor paint on my roof and it looks great.

Took about 8 hours to do most of which was waiting on the product to dry to reapply.

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
Donald,

This is another option.... It is a fiberglass marine deck paint made by Rustoleum and available at Lowe's. Below is a paste from an earlier post of mine and we are now at the 3 year point with this finish and it is still just fine surviving multiple pressure washings and absolutely no chalking. If you search on Rustoleum on this forum there is prep information and some photos. I have nothing against Dicor or Rhino Coat, just personally I would opt for a thin smooth gloss paint finsih that sheds dirt well and is easily recoated, if it is needed sometime down the road. These marine deck paints are designed just for that purpose. I do not know if these other coatings lend themselves well to being redone at some point. Maybe some users can fill us in on that issue.

We arrived home several days ago and decided to wash the motorhome (really needed it) which includes a roof wash. I have been keeping tabs for the folks on the forum as to how the Rustoleum Marine Deck Paint as a roof finish was holding up. We have now been through two very sunny summers spending time in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona at temperatures over 100 degrees followed by some nights in the 30s up in the Tetons and all points in between. After 10k miles and five pressure washings there is still no oxidation, no peeling or delamination, and the finish has retained its gloss. After the first year I removed the original rather large footprint satellite system and it was easy to scuff the surface, solvent wash, and roller on several coats of the paint overlapping the existing paint edges that were ended at the original dish edge. One of the photos includes that area with a footprint of screws, residual wires, and lap sealant sealing the screw heads. You may need to click on a photo to enlarge it enough to see that. I cannot see where the paint lap was at this stage. That would indicate that any future painted surface repairs would blend in easily if that became necessary.

My net is that so far this roof finish has been trouble free and easy to clean. Keep you posted next fall...

Later Ed

Don and Kathy DuCharme

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »
Thanks everyone,  appreciate the comments and recommendations.
Don
07 Contessa
C9;400HP