Author Topic: Coach Electric Switch by Entrance Door  (Read 4688 times)

John Jahr

Coach Electric Switch by Entrance Door
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »
I have just purchased about 6 weeks ago a 2005 Monterey. We haven't  been able to use it  for the last 4 weeks.

Went out to start it to day to get ready for a trip on Monday and I can't get the electric to stay on when I push the switch be the front door. It comes on when  I hold it down but when I let go of it the electric won"t stay on.

Can any one who may have had this problem help me.

John Jahr

Edward Buker

Re: Coach Electric Switch by Entrance Door
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 04:09:39 AM »
John,

I believe this is a latching relay that latches on and off. If your coach has not been plugged in, it may be that the batteries are low enough where the latch mechanism is not getting enough current to throw it completely. If it has not been plugged in for the storage duration, then try charging via a plugged connection or the generator for half an hour and see if the switch works.

If you have been plugged in, go to the electrical bay below the driver seat via the outside hatch door, and with someone operating the switch listen and feel for the relay that is functioning. It should be one of the larger metal objects connected to the panel wiring. It looks like an external starter solenoid switch. If the batteries are charged and the voltage is as it should be you will probably need to change this relay. There should be some info on it to identify it and allow you order one from BCS or they should know of a replacement.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:02:29 PM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
John,
You also have the option of bypassing the solenoid and bolting the two battery cables together. The "salesman switch" as it is commonly called has very little if any use to a coach owner and several owners bypass the system to prevent someone from accidentally cutting 12V power off to the coach when coming in or going out the door.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »
On mine this relay is in the back, in a compartment above the batteries.  I didn't "by pass" it with a jumper.  Instead, with it latched in the "On" position, I disconnected the control wire from the switch by the door.  

In some motorhomes, the switch turns off the fridge and others it doesn't.  My salesman switch does turn of the fridge.  I did not want the switched at the front door accidentally bumped while fumbling for a light switch.  If bumped the food could rot and the beer get warm.

Bill

John Jahr

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
Thank you all for the information on my door switch.

Mine has a small slide button that needs to be engaged before the switch will work. That is apparently where the problem is. I dropped a small bolt behind the switch to keep it engaged and that will do until I can get a new switch installed, to never be used again.

I had read on this form, in the last coupe of weeks, about the problems with this switch and discovered the chassis switch and the coach switch in my battery compartment. Had made up my mind that I would only use these switches from now on, but I had turned of the electrical off from the front switch when coming back from our first trip 4 weeks ago. That's  the way my luck goes some times.

Its working now till I get a new switch.

Thanks again for all you help. Your assume.

John

PS:  We love the coach