Author Topic: 2000 marquis water leaks  (Read 5926 times)

Dave Cunningham

2000 marquis water leaks
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
Hi everyone, working away on the 2000 marquis I bought last year, I am doing a little body work and paint and thought I would be able to fix a couple of small leaks I have had since I bought it ,at the same time . It has a leak at the passenger side frontin between the door and the window, it soaks the fabric wall covering , same thing further back on that side between the living room and dining room windows. I assumed that when I really got into resealing the raingutter strip and the awning that I would find the problem , but after thorough inspection I can't see anywhere that it could possibly be leaking, everything is sealed and it is not the windows or the speakers,

any ideas?

thanks,

Dave

Bill Sprague

Re: 2000 marquis water leaks
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:27:16 AM »
I met a new member last weekend who had fabric behind the door that was wet.  He found the roof to wall trim strip was badly sealed and full of rusted out screws where water could seep through.

Another point of water entry can be the clearance lights and the porch light.  

And, look around various awning attach points.

I have one area at the bedroom slide that I couldn't fix or get fixed.  I finally bought some extruded plastic "RV Gutter" at Camping world and applied it to the roof in a way that very little water can get to the leaky area.  

Bill Sprague

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:31:31 AM »
thanks Bill, I haven't actually pulled out the black rubber strip that hides all of the screws, on the gutter rail but I can't see how water could possibly get in there

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:36:46 AM »
Dave,
Here's a couple of possibilities I encountered on my coach. The rivets holding the Gerard Awning can leak. A dab of silicon on each can solve this. As to the door-window leak, you didn't state how high up it was. I found that the outside handhold beside the door was the culprit. The bottom mount was collecting water due to a bad gasket. The water then entered the coach via the mounting screws. I fixed this by reversing the mounts as the upper one had a good gasket and drilling a small "weep" hole in the bottom of the mount to allow any collected water to drain.
Good Luck, Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 02:04:47 AM »
I should have added that my favorite way to fix leaks it to camp/park where there is only sunshine!

William Mathews

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »
Take a good look at the cap to roof seals.  A leak here can run and show up on the side walls.   Don't ask how  know.

Bill M
'03 Cont.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:20:08 PM by 14 »

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:32:15 PM »
We found our leak was the safety handle. Before I took it off I couldn't imagine that water could get in there, but it did.  Took it off recaulked including the screws and it fixed my leak.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:53:55 AM »
thanks guys , I have since removed the black rubber strips covering the screws that hold the molding on, there were a few missing and a few loose , I am going to seal everything and see how I make out

John Burt

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
We have a 2000 Marquis.Leaking over windshield and also had leaks in the bedroom.Took all the running lights out,the plastic had small cracks in them and the water got in . Went to Napa automotive store and ordered all new ones.We have't had a leak since.We like you resealed gutters and all fans on roof,even had the windsheild replaced.But it was the lights.Hope it helps.   :