Author Topic: Entry handle lights  (Read 5434 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Entry handle lights
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
One of our 3 entry assist handle lights, the angled one alongside the steps inside, flickers.  The outside vertical one and the one alongside the door inside go to fully lit.  I'm not sure yet how these lamps are built, but they appear to be multiple glass tubes in clear plastic, perhaps lit at the tube ends by fluorescent or LCD bulbs?

At any rate, has anyone here ever dealt with a similar issue, and can provide guidance?  I've yet to attempt a disassemble of this contraption, so I thought I'd ask first.  It may just be a corroded or loose connection somewhere.

Joel
(now in Dillon, MT)

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Entry handle lights
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »
Wish I could be more help. I had trouble with mine and had it replaced at BCS. They had a direct fit with the word Beaver already on the clear plastic grab handle. I'll bet they could help answer your question.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:02:02 PM »
I have never had mine apart but the outside handle design has been around a long time. long before LEDs. Mine seems to generate some heat, so check yours near the lighted end of the plastic handle or ends and see what you feel. If it is warm then it is an incandescent bulb like I believe it has beeen in the past. I presume if you unscrew the assembly from the coach you would have access to the bulb sockets area. We do not have an inside version so I am not sure, but if heat is involved after it has been on for awhile, I would be sure it is incandescent and if not then LED is possible.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
The outside handle is different and may be incandescent shining through a resin.  The two inside ones each have a circle of 12-14 white tubes running from one end of the handle to the other.  I'm assuming they work on a glass fibre principle, and I haven't noticed any heat.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
My outside handle has a very small incandescent bulb on the top end of the handle inside the chrome piece.  Mine needs to be replaced again.  I have the handle, but must cut it to length in order for it to fit properly.  My inside handle are fiber optic with the same bulb as the light source with polished brass end pieces.  Both of them work fine, but the ends are very discolored and need to be polished to brighten them up.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:02:08 AM »
I have had mine apart and the interior handles have a light bulb at each end.  The outer light has only one light bulb.  Take one end of the handle holder loose and remove it from the coach.  The plastic bar comes out and you can change the bulbs.  Mine also looks like their might be fiber optics in the handle, but the light from the bulb just shines up the plastic.

Good luck.
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:25:02 AM »
Thanks, Roy.  It's good to know what I'm up against before starting disassembly.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat