Author Topic: Norcold refrigerator  (Read 4895 times)

Orman Claxton

Norcold refrigerator
« on: September 29, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
Refrigerator 2005 Beaver Monterey,

Well this year has been one of those years
After repairs on the Dash AC, The Inverter failure, the Cord Reel failure , Dc Alternator failure.
Now the Refrigerator has failed,
Now researching on which is best way to go.
I have been hearing bout the Amish system, is this better  than the original Norcold?
Or is the original system the best way?
I am hearing about the Residental system
Has anyone gone this route
Thanks everyone
Orman 8)

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Norcold refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:19:29 AM »
Just replace my original unit with a new Norcold..  Was only about $1,500.00 more than replacing the cooling unit ($3,900.00 total installed and delivery).  I would have gone with a home style unit, but wife wanted the raised panels that match the cabinets.  Anyway, looks great, runs great and works much better than the original unit.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Chris_Pany

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 07:41:21 AM »
We just ordered the Amish kit to be installed locally. We'll see - we've done three recalls now? Perhaps this one will be a permanent, if expensive, fix. We occasionally dry camp - didn't want to go the residential route.

Chris Pany
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 04:47:46 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »
We installed a residential and the total cost was less than what Karl quoted for a replacement Norcold.  We don't dry camp and have been very happy with the huge increase in storage capability.

Mel Griffin

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
I have a 18' Kenmore frig, a lot of space, must run Genny for 2 hours every 5-6 hours

when on the road to keep the drinks cold, which is no problem.

Miami Mel

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 08:38:22 PM »
[quote author=]I have a 18' Kenmore frig, a lot of space, must run Genny for 2 hours every 5-6 hours

when on the road to keep the drinks cold, which is no problem.

Miami Mel[/quote]

I'm surprised you feel you have to run the genny that often while traveling.  We do run it when we want the A/C but normally we don't find a need for it.  With the engine running on a 5-7 hour day (and maybe even a hint of sunlight) we find the batteries showing hardly any discharge.  Our Samsun 18 cu ft runs fine off of the modified sine wave inverter which is a principal reason for selecting it.