Author Topic: SMC Leveling System HELP  (Read 9411 times)

Jill Stevens

SMC Leveling System HELP
« on: October 02, 2012, 12:41:14 AM »
[face=Arial][/face][size=14][/size]Would love to learn from other's experiences - our leveling system is not working. We were told it is the panel (by the driver's elbow) and that parts cannot be found.  Has anyone replaced their system (ours is the one which levels to the axels, not the ground)?  Would love to know what your experience was, any advice, costs, results - if replaced, what type did you get and are you happy with the replacement? Thank you.

Our coach is a 2001 Beaver Patriot X, 37.5 feet in length with a CAT 301 engine (I think that is the number), and Allison transmission.

Thank you for your time and energy!! Jill Stevens

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: SMC Leveling System HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:58:57 AM »
If the problem is indeed the touch pad panel try calling Northwast RV Supply in Eugene, Or. 541-746-9092. I have seen them there before but that was a year or two back. By the way your engine is most likely a 300-330hp. 3126 Cat. Marty
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:04:41 PM by 235 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:02:04 AM »
Before you replace make sure that the plug is inserted.  Twice since I owned mi e the plug came loose and just fell into the area below.  Just a thought.

Bruce Benson

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:14:15 AM »
Jill.

The unit at the driver's elbow has very little circuitry.  It simply contains the switch, the buttons and the lights that you see from the top.  Any of these items could certainly fail but all are replaceable.  The "brains" of the system are directly under the removable panel on top of the dash.  If the lights on the unit are not working when you switch the unit on it is either the wiring, the switch or a problem in the "brains".  The first two are easy to fix with the last being more complex but probably not insurmountable.  

My unit failed because of a bad switch.  I suspect it was because the vent window was left open and some water got into it causing corrosion.  If possible, have some one with some electronic experience remove this panel and check for obvious problems, like the switch or the plug, which can be easily repaired.  It is possible it is something just that simple.  An RV shop may or may not be good with electronic repair.  A friend who is a ham radio operator probably is good with electronic repair.    

I happen to have some extra switches for this unit, if that should turn out to be your problem.  Send me a PM if that is the case and I will be happy to help you out with one.  

Jill Stevens

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »
Thanks for your responses. The lights do go on and the system appears to be "ready", when we push auto, the air dumps and then it appears to be waiting (for the dump process to end) and it times out.  The jack(s) never lower, although the indicator light will show which side needs to be raised....  I will print out the answers and share with Bill ....  Thanks again!

Bruce Benson

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:53:48 PM »
Jill,

I would want to know if the computer is putting out power to the pump solenoid switch after it dumps the air and before it times out.   If it does so you might have a problem in the wiring to that switch which is located under the entry steps.  If it does not then you have a problem within the computer and need someone with some electronic skills to trouble shoot it for you.  The probability of a repair are reduced somewhat if the problem is withing the computer but not ruled out.  I assume two yellow on either side and the green are flashing when it times out.

I would also be curious what happens when you push the switch on the left of the control panel to "Manual Retract"

I am including a picture of the control panel here to help me respond to a PM from another member about the switch.  I cannot figure out how to attach a picture to a PM!  Since yours is doing what you said, the switch is not your problem.

Bruce Benson

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:33:52 AM »
To address your other questions regarding replacement, you are probably looking at about $5000 or more for an air system and more than that for a jack to the ground system.  Air would be your best option.  

I think that I would try to build a manual system to override the automatic one if mine failed at the computer.  If it failed at the solenoid bank that would be different in that the price of this one item might exceed the cost of an all air conversion.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 01:35:42 AM »
I just looked on NW RV suppLy and they have the switch panel listed for $200 in stock if that is your issue.

Just FYI

Jill Stevens

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 02:52:55 AM »
Thank you again for all the suggestions.  Today the tech working on the coach told us he is trying to locate someone to trouble shoot the IDS Board (brain) to locate the circuit or module that is not working and repair/replace it.  Keep your fingers crossed! We are.....  Thanks.

Jill Stevens

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 02:38:11 AM »
UPDATE - the RV dealer / repair was not able to find anyone willing to work on the circuit board so it is now in the hands of our extended warranty for their advice on how to proceed.  Thanks again all for your responses.  I will place a new message/thread with the details once we have a working leveling system along with our experience - which I have to say, the dealer here in Pahrump has been fantastic thus far!!

Bill Johnson

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »
If you continue to have difficulty finding the parts or advice you need, you could contact Rob or Patty Pierce in Yuma Arizona.  Patty used to work at Beaver Coach Sales and Rob is an expert on the SMC leveling system.  Here is a URL to their site:  
http://sunbumrv.com/

Bill

Jill Stevens

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 04:46:38 AM »
Thanks Bill!  Well, here's the final update.  We did get our system repaired. It wasn't easy but it happened.  We were told parts weren't available and the dealer working on the coach was told they had none, but when our insurance called, a part was found (new circuit board) (probably re-paired/reworked IDS circuit board) for the leveling system and it is completed and working great!!  We also had a few other items fixed - the icemaker was leaking -the tubing kept cracking, so it was replaced; a seal when out in the front passenger wheel (bearing), and the dash air needed something that got crimped/pinched fixed.  All but the dash air were covered by our extended warranty so we couldn't be happier with the end result. We did miss any September and October camping, but I am sitting in the Downey Elks Lodge RV spots (here for Thanksgiving) so I am super happy!  And we love our Beaver....!!

Thanks to everyone on the forum for your help, ideas, input and just being here when needed!  What a great community.

Jill

George H. Wall

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »
Jill,   What extended warrenty plan do you have ( what company ) if you don't mind???     Henry