Author Topic: Aladdin ATS Module  (Read 6426 times)

Craig Rollins

Aladdin ATS Module
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:00:23 PM »
A few weeks ago we were setting up and when I checked the pedestal it appeared that the 50A breaker was in the off position. Well, when I plugged in I found out different. I heard a pop and then there was no AC power to the coach. Fired up the generator and could not get power from it either. Checked the Xantrex system monitor and it showed no power entering the coach. Crawled into the basement and found a tripped breaker on the side of the Xantrex SW 3000. Reset the breaker and everything was working fine except one item. The Alladin "Coach Electrical Status" display now shows nothing but xxxxx xxxxx xx where meaningful numbers used to appear for both Legs 1 & 2.

We were traveling enroute to a family emergency so I didn't take the time to mess with it anymore than what I had already done. I was just happy to have AC back and not be delayed. Now that we have reached our winter roost, I have plenty of time to mess with it.

I have the troubleshooting guides for both Aladdin and the Surge Guard 40250 ATS. I have verified that I have 12 volts coming into the ATSM from the Aladdin control unit on the serial bus. The status LED inside of the ATSM is not lit. If what I have read is correct I should have a 12-16 vac signal voltage from the ATS on pins 2&5 of the RJ11 jack that plugs into the bottom of the ATSM. I don't.

At this point I'm not sure what direction to take. According to the Aladdin T/S guide, if the ATSM has power (12vdc from the control unit?) the status LED inside should glow steadily, it doesn't glow (nor does it blink, indicating proper operation), but the 12 vdc is there. However, I can't seem to find an AC signal voltage on the RJ11 jack either. I'm about to order a LAN tester to test the cable from the ATS to the ATSM but intuition tells me it's probably fine.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bill Sprague

Re: Aladdin ATS Module
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »
A few years ago I had the xxxxxx's.  I found a diagram that showed a fuse I couldn't find.  It turned out to be an in line fuse in the small wire at the amperage pickup coil.  

The secret was where to find it.  The main feed to the coach circuit breaker goes though what I have to call is a ring.  A few inches down the wire from the ring is the fuse.  It is all behind the breaker panel in the bedroom.  

I had to go to an electronics store to get the fuse.  It is something like 0.1 amps!  Radio Shack did not have them.

It's a guess, but maybe you blew the same fuse.  

Craig Rollins

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:37:46 AM »
Thanks Bill. I just pulled both panels off the Load Centers (located in the bathroom) but there was nothing there that resembled what you are talking about. One of the things that I have done is go into the Surge Guard ATS and tighten all connections. When I did I noticed a toroidal transformers around each of the output legs. Maybe that is where the fuse is. I'll open it up again tomorrow and take a peek. If that is all it is, that would be awesome.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
Quote from: Craig Rollins
Thanks Bill. I just pulled both panels off the Load Centers (located in the bathroom) but there was nothing there that resembled what you are talking about. One of the things that I have done is go into the Surge Guard ATS and tighten all connections. When I did I noticed a toroidal transformers around each of the output legs. Maybe that is where the fuse is. I'll open it up again tomorrow and take a peek. If that is all it is, that would be awesome.

"toroidal transformers"  That's what its called!  If I use those words at the right rally discussion, I will be assumed to be the expert!

I have a Craftsman clamp on amp meter.  It will measure amps through a wire when you open the clamp and put the jaws around a single wire.  From that experience, I know it makes sense the Aladdin has to do the same thing somewhere.  

I can't wait to ask motorhome friends if they know where their toriodals are today!

Craig Rollins

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:39:20 PM »
I believe I found the two fuses you were talking about. They are mounted on a printed circuit board in the back of the ATS where you have to just about disassemble the entire ATS just to get at them. The toroidals plug into the PCB right next to the fuses so it's probably a safe bet that these are the fuses you speak of. Unfortunately for me, they both tested ok with my continuity tester. I've reassembled the ATS, plugged everything back in, turned on the power and I still have xxxx xxxx xx readouts on both legs per Aladdin.

Time for a new strategy.  :-/

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »
Craig,

Mine were in-the-wire fuses.  Mine is a 2004, built in summer 2003 so there may be differences.  

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »
At one time, 3 or 4 years ago, I had a problem with x's showing up on my Aladdin.  I called an "expert" and he told me to reset my Aladdin.  Once I did that, my Aladdin worked just fine.  I'm sorry, but I don't remember how to reset it, but it should be in your manual.  Give that a try.  It might work.
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Craig Rollins

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
Craig,

Mine were in-the-wire fuses.  Mine is a 2004, built in summer 2003 so there may be differences.  

I think you're right about there being some differences between the 2004 and 2005 model years. Our Load Center (Breaker Panels) are located in the toilet room in a cupboard immediately on your left as your enter. The ATS is located on the back wall of a small storage compartment directly behind the left drive wheels. The toroidal transformers are around each leg exiting the ATS and the wires from the transformers plug into a printed circuit board located behind the main relays. It's too risky for me to get my VOM probes in there to take a voltage measurement at the rj11. Too much high voltage stuff in the way. I can rule out the Aladdin ATSM because there is no signal voltage reaching it through the LAN cable that runs from the ATS to the ATSM. I don't want to give you guys a reason to start calling me Sparky. ;) I will probably order that LAN tester I was talking about earlier. I can see where it will come in handy in the future and it's not terribly expensive.

Quote from: Bill Sprague
At one time, 3 or 4 years ago, I had a problem with x's showing up on my Aladdin.  I called an "expert" and he told me to reset my Aladdin.  Once I did that, my Aladdin worked just fine.  I'm sorry, but I don't remember how to reset it, but it should be in your manual.  Give that a try.  It might work.

Thanks for the suggestion Roy, that was one of the first things I tried. At least I'm pretty sure that it's isn't an Aladdin component at this point. I'm pretty sure it's the PCB in the ATS. I just want to get a LAN tester so I can rule out the LAN cable from the ATS tp the ATSM.

Thanks for letting me pick the collective BAC brain and use you guys as a sounding board.

Craig Rollins

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
After following the Aladdin troubleshooting manual and following everyone's suggestions here and on another board I came to the conclusion that the Aleddin ATS Module, itself, was the problem. After doing some extensive searching I found a "previously loved" module at http://en.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/c/rvsalvagemotorhomes-partingout.pl for a reasonable price. I just finished installing it and everything is working again.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help and suggestions.