Author Topic: Hydro Hot warming but not enough  (Read 8411 times)

Bill Jourdain

Hydro Hot warming but not enough
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »
We are preparing for a trip and I brought the coach out of storage yesterday and fired up the Hydro Hot system. I turned on both diesel and electric to start. After a while, warm air was coming out of the vents. The interior temp started at about 45 degrees and got up to 60 (thermostat set at 68 ). At that point I turned off the diesel burner to save fuel and left it on electric.  I went out to the coach this morning to check on the temp.  The outside temp was 35 degrees and the inside had cooled to 50. The system was running on electric and warm air was still coming out of the vents.  Any ideas why on electric the system will not warm the inside more than this?  Is this the nature of the beast or indicative of a fault or problem?

I had the system serviced in October (annual service), so all should be well in that regard.

Thanks.

Bill

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Hydro Hot warming but not enough
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »
My understanding is the electric heating element in your motorhome pulls 16 to 17 amps.  An electric floor heater typically has three settings - 600, 900, and both on is 1500.  Not being an electrician, my guess is 1500 means 15 amps of power being used.  Sooooo... without the diesel burner, your motorhome is essentially being heated by a typical floor heater set on high power.  My thinking is one floor heater will not keep my motorhome up to a comfortable temperature... perhaps one room and maybe two rooms, but not from end to end.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

George H. Wall

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »
Also it is heating your HOT WATER !  It doing exactly as it should. USE your Diesel.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »
Also it is heating your HOT WATER !  It doing exactly as it should. USE your Diesel.

How does one use their diesel? I understand if the engine is running, but what about when dry camping or even being on 50 amps at a campground? Does running the generator (which is using diesel) do the same thing?

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

George H. Wall

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »
Ther is an ELECTRIC side and a DIESEL selection for heating. You can use ONE or BOTH for heat/hot water useage, by selection.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
George is right. Just switch on the Diesel switch, set your thermostats to heat ,and select a fan speed. the rest is automatic. No need for engine, generator, or shore power as long as you have charged batteries and diesel fuel in tank. Keep in mind that the Hydro-hot prioritizes water heating over room heat so if you run hot water the heat to the coach interior may be affected. Also, it can take 10-15 minutes for the coach heat exchanger fans to turn on after you've selected the diesel option. Electric is only a supplement and will not warm the coach at the exterior temps you have.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »
On mine, the electric element in the Hydro/AquaHot uses 12.5 amps.  (1500 watts divide by 120 volts equals 12.5 amps)  That amount is verified by the readout on the Aladdin.  12 amp can make about 5,000 BTUs.

12 amps  is the same as a single $20 WalMart space heater and no more.  Worse, it spreads the limited heat everywhere, including the tank bays and for hot water.  It might be enough to provide primary heat if the outside air temperature is around 60F or higher and the wind isn't blowing.  

Some AquaHots have two 12 amp elements, and that can be better.  Some Beavers have an electric heater behind the baseboard under the kitchen counter that is completly separate from the Hydro/AquaHot.  It is there because the Hydro/AquaHot can't do the job on electric only by itself.

Electric is a secondary source of energy in the Hydro/AquaHot design.  It has enough "power" to keep the coach from freezing from about 25F and up if the wind isn't trying to take all the heat away.

"How does one use their diesel?"

You turn on the switch and the Hydro/AquaHot diesel burner lights up.  It is a burner made by a German company and is branded "Webasto".  It draws motor fuel from your tank and, depending on model, produces around 50,000 BTU.  That is 10 times greater than what the electric element can do.

Some Hydro/AquaHots are set up so that with both the electric and diesel switches on, the diesel does not fire up until the electric can't keep up.  Others, like mine, cycle both on if heat is called for.

"but what about when dry camping or even being on 50 amps at a campground? Does running the generator (which is using diesel) do the same thing?"

Running the generator will make more electricity available, but the Hydro/AquaHot can still only use 12.5 amps.  So plugging in to a 100 amp service or running the 7500 watt Onan does not make more heat.  (We call it "50 Amps" but there are two breakers, so the total is really 100 amps.)

If you really want electric heat and have the 100 amps available from the park, you can do it.  Start with the Hydro/AquaHot turned on.  Add a space heater and plug it in anywhere.  There is a limit because the wiring for the regular outlets goes through a 30 amp breaker.  I like using the "baseboard" style, but any space heater will work.  I like running two set to the low setting of around 8 amps.  One is in back and one is in front.   With the two heaters and the Hdro/AquaHot that is about 30 amps and maybe 10,000 BTUs.  It certainly works better.

If you need more electric heat, you need to find circuits that are not on the outlet circuit.  For example, the washer/dryer plug would support another heater.  

Another way to heat with electric when you have 50 amp hookups is to use the Heat Pumps capability of the air conditioners.  You select Heat Pump instead of Furnace on the thermostats and those noisy things will blow hot air at you.  They work well down to about 40F, but as you approach freezing temperatures outside they loose most of their efficiency.

Hope this helps for those that are new to the Hydro/AquaHot.  Please phone if you have questions.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »
Great information everyone! I just retired so we'll have more time for travel. We're looking forward to meeting some of you in Gillette.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike.Way

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »
 Have 2 switches for my aqua hot system('98 Marquis). One on the driver's console marked coach heat, a second in  the utility area above the dining table marked water heater.  Is there a third switch marked diesel some where?  

I also have fluid showing in the overflow and fluid in the tank, but it won't handle low 30's.

Thanks,
Mike

George H. Wall

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
You may have a Hurricaine heater system. Several guys on the forun can tell you how to approach if that's true.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »
Mike,  I have a hurricane if you do if will be located in the bay with the water heater.  

Mike.Way

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 10:52:38 PM »
Only the two switches, but ....

A $5.00 radiator cap fixed it.  Good heat coming out.

Thanks for the replies,
Mike

Orman Claxton

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 04:15:55 AM »
Hi Bill
Feel free to call me @ 206 660 9893
Thanks
 Orman