Author Topic: Blue Ox rebuild  (Read 4337 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

Blue Ox rebuild
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:00:04 PM »
Well the parts came and I set out to rebuild the blue ox 10,000lb tow bar.

In less than 2 hours it is complete including new paint ( took it apart yesterday).

So for those who wish, it is not difficult or too technical.  

Thanks to the folks at blue ox they were great.  

Total expense including shipping, new boots, washers, lock nuts, springs and roll pins was less than $50.

The only tool I needed to borrow was a 1 1/16 deep thin wall socket.

Jeremy Parrett

Re: Blue Ox rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:50:12 PM »
Tom,
  I have to replace the latch levers, springs ,roll pics, and end stops etc.  Mine is the BX7445  10,000 lb.  
 Are there any tips you could give me?

Thanks,  

Jeremy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:35:47 AM by 14 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »
Jeremy, I wish I could tell you there is a Magic tool but I cannot.  

Just pay close attention on how stuffs comes off.  There is also a blue ox you tube video that is a lot of help.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:36:41 AM by 14 »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:04:20 AM »
Tom.
   I did the job.It took me 1 hour to do one latch lever,swivel locking handle ,bolt and spring.  After installing the latch lever,swivel locking handle and the bolt it was a very fiddly job to get the spring compressed and then inserted into position. Using a 6 inch metal tube fed through from the inboard end worked very well to hold the short end of the compressed spring level while it was slid into position. Then fishing for the spring roll through one roll pin hole, with a thin instrument ,I managed to lever the spring roll into position and push the tool right through to the other roll pin hole Then inserting the roll pin over this thin metal tool I was able to hammer the roll pin over the tool into position and then remove the tool from inside the roll pin.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:20:47 AM »
Jeremy,
 There is no better feeling than doing it yourself. Saving the $105 plus per hour and knowing it was done right and the ability to repair if necessary.  

Great job!