Author Topic: ignition dead/then not...  (Read 5320 times)

Lyle Johnson

ignition dead/then not...
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
[face=Times][/face][size=14][/size]Well...I have a problem...driving down the road the Silver Leaf computer goes
off then stays off with a pile of numbers or letters showing...if I cycle the ignition switch, it will then come back on...
Now I am in a RV park, wanted to take off, turned on ignition switch, it starts to show usual elec. then goes dead...tried battery boost switch,
nothing..., checked batteries, all up, cables look good, tried switch several times, nothing...decided to stay awhile longer (mainly because
we can not go anywhere..:) ) just tried the switch and "wha la..." she has elec. stuff lit up and she starts!!!!
The Silver Leaf has done this in the past but never tried to figure out the problem...guess it is time. It is not the computer but some other
"thing"...there ya go and here we sit...nice park. :)

2000 Beaver Marquis...Cat 425

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: ignition dead/then not...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 02:22:21 AM »
Similar issues in the recent past have led to the solenoid in the electrical bay.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:51:01 AM »
Lyle,
It sounds like the ignition controlled solenoid in the LF electrical bay is defective. You can buy a replacement at most RV supply stores for less than $30. Be certain that you buy a continuous duty solenoid with at least an 85 amp rating.

Some club members have changed the ignition solenoid over to a solid state unit as is discussed in this thread. http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1348523642/. However the original solenoid will usually last around 10 years and cost $30 to replace while the solid state unit will probably last the life of the coach for a little over $100. The labor is about the same for either repair.  

Gerald  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:09:41 AM by 235 »

Lyle Johnson

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »
Ok...I will do some checking on that tomorrow...I am close to Grants Pass right now so I will drive in and try to find a part.
Thanks for the info,
Lyle

Lyle Johnson

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »
[face=Geneva][/face][size=14][/size]Ok...just got the new solenoid in and cranked up.
Interesting tidbit...the voltage reads better also...never had that much voltage since I purchased unit...I guess I have been lucky out
there on the road.  I had the engine (cat) shut off on me before but cat dealer in Redmond replaced a chip in engine to fix that. Well,
thanks again for the feedback...it is greatly appreciated.

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »
Glad you have this fixed.  I have had this failure twice.  I think I have solved the problem by purchasing the solenoid from NAPA.  I bought one with a silver disk instead of copper.  I also always carry a spare.

Dennis

Lyle Johnson

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Yup...made it home with good voltage also...wanted to keep going but here we are.
A spare is always a good idea especially when the coach shuts down...the tow bill and waiting around on the hwy. would not make
good company let alone the cost. $25 in the container is better.
Lyle

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 12:16:49 AM »
If you are a little patient you can pick up a Cole Hersee 48785 solid state solenoid from Ebay very reasonably. I purchased a new one last week for $39 plus $6 shipping. They eliminate contacts so there is no wear and oxidation issues. The person I purchased from has another available if anyone is interested. At this price it makes sense, at $150 plus, not so much....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLE-HERSEE-48785-SOLID-STATE-SOLENOID-SWITCH-12-to-24-VDC-systems-Marine-Use-/271154843383?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f22168ef7&vxp=mtr

Later Ed