Author Topic: Telescoping Ladder  (Read 16840 times)

barbhalsell

Telescoping Ladder
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »
Has anyone bought and used a good, safe telescoping ladder that they would recommend?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Telescoping Ladder
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:58:57 AM »
There were issues with the most common one, found at Camping World and other retailers.  Consumer Reports I believe revealed a few years ago that they weren't happy with it.  

Those difficulties may have since been resolved, but I like my folding step ladder, Camping World #20317 online.  We've had ours for about 20 years, and originally used it in the house before we got a coach big enough to store it in.  If I had to do it all over again, however, I'd get the 7 foot model so it was a bit easier to use to clean the top of my windshield and check/clean the running lights above it.  The only other glitch is that the red inserts that act as feet for the two narrowest legs tend to push up into their tubes in time, and aren't easily replaceable.  That's not been a deal-killer, since the ladder still works pretty much as intended.  The models that have steps on two sides have wide legs all around, and likely won't exhibit the problem.  And I like the stability of the 4-point legs.  I wouldn't pay the extra money for the model with steps on both sides;  you can only climb one side at a time anyway, plus you don't need the extra weight of the larger models.  

The telescoping type depends on level ground and something to lean it against at the top, which limit's its usefulness.  When our main awning swung open on Canada 1 last summer, a telescoping ladder would have been next to useless on sloping ground along side the freeway, 10+ feet away from the coach side, and well over my head;  especially when it came to hand-rolling the canvas back onto the tube, up in the air - I couldn't have leaned a telescoping one against the roller to do that.  The free-standing option of mine was a huge plus, and a game changer in that emergency.

Just my 2 cents.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:11:02 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
I have the same concerns as Joel with a telescoping ladder. Tried a 4' Al step ladder as it would store relatively easy in "basement", but was too short and took up too much room. Have now converted to 6' Al step ladder. Much more functional as I can reach awnings, etc, and has areas to set tools, etc. I lash it to the rear ladder when not in use.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
When I had the TT I bought a 12.5" Extend &  Climb, which worked well, as it could be easily stowed in the pickup bed.  When we got the Beaver, it wasn't so easy to stow and use, so we got a Little Giant at Costco.  This is much easier to use for maintenance, as stows easily in the slide out bay, and does not have to lean on the coach side.  If I need to get on the roof the coach ladder works well which my TT did not have.

Now the extending ladder stay in the garage, but is perfect around the house.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:51:38 PM by 14 »

barbhalsell

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »
Our challenge is we do not have a roof ladder attached, so we are trying to find  a ladder that will store easily in a bay and also reach the top of the coach. I have been reading the reviews on Amazon for the different brands available in the telescoping ladders. People either love them or hate them and apparently there are better made, heavy duty versions.
Thank you for the ideas on what to get, I will keep shopping!

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »
Barb:
Have you also checked out the cost of a permanently attached roof ladder?  That and a light weight step ladder may be a reasonable option.

MarcRodstein

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:37:32 PM »
Attaching a permanent ladder is not easy unless you know where there is a fortified attach point. You can not just screw it in anywhere you like because the rear cap will not support it.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:07 PM »
Keith and Marc are both right.  I'd personally want the stability and immediate availability of a regular built-in on the back, but then our coach came with one.   A good service center can help locate the strong rear cap backing points, or install backing to take the ladder's screws.  Seems like this was discussed in previous threads here some time back.  

The best setup in my opinion is a combination of a rear ladder plus a narrow folding one stored in a full width bay.  Compromising with a telescopic one is to my notion just that, a compromise;  useful, but not the best features of either other option.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Richard Cooper

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »
I've had a 7 ft ladder on my Wish List at Amazon and its the type that does no telescope but expands from a pole state and folds back to that thin 7 ft length.  Any thoughts on this?  Safe?

http://www.amazon.com/GPL-SLD-D7-Ladder-Folding-Compact/dp/B000XO0ALM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=6F6PP94A936Z&coliid=I2Y2C9FJVZ3ZVW

I hope this link works.

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 11:54:26 PM »
Barb,

It is easy to conclude that to own a motorhome you also must have access to the roof for many reasons. I looked at this issue and concluded that there really is no safe way to access the roof without some handrails that allow you to make the transition from the ladder to the roof and back again. Thankfully Gerald made a diagram that I have for the 2000-2002 Marquis that I had a half ladder constructed from and use a step ladder to access it. It could also be a full length ladder depending on your preference. One of the suppliers to the original Beaver coaches is Chritiansons. I cut and pasted below some information from an earlier post. Ron may still have my diagram if that interests you. I think your coach body is similar and you could check if any of these PNs apply with BCS. I have Gerald's diagram if you think you want to have one built and need that.

I had my ladder "custom" built and there is no PN for it seeing Monaco never offered a half ladder. I worked with Ron at Christainsons who is 'the ladder guy". The ladder that Christianson built for Monaco was PN 21601719 and is referenced in one of the photos above. They have the bending jig for that ladder if you want the full length version. I had sent them Gerald's diagram and had them do a half ladder version of his. I did not know if the PN 21601719, that was a mid 2002 through 2003 ladder, would fit an earlier coach and nobody at Monaco could tell me the dimensions of that ladder and what if anything was changed from the Topline 2000 through mid 2002 ladder.

It appears that the way they do ladders in this industry, is that the vendor gets some coach info, builds one, then they send it to Monaco and modify the form if they need to and then they go with it. There does not seem to be drawings for these kinds of things. My belief is that this was a cost driven move and that the Christainson full length ladder would fit but I was not sure.

I'm very happy with the half version and carry a folding 6ft ladder with me to make the transition if I need to go on the roof. My order was recent enough that Ron should have what he needs to build another or you could have him verify the PN 21601719 mounting points are similar to Gerald's diagram and go with that. Either way they should be able to fix you up. If there was enough interest in a half ladder version they would probably build a jig and this would become quite easy. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 04:02:50 AM »
Although it may be viewed by some to be a "wimpy" approach, I recently had a friend die from a fall no greater than one would have from the roof of a MH.  That reinforced my conviction that there is no reason I need to be able to get onto my roof.  I find that there are plenty of people willing to climb on my roof and do whatever work I need to have done.  Since I don't currently have a rear ladder, I figure it will be a number of years before the costs of hiring people to get on my roof equals the cost of installing a ladder.  

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 04:18:13 AM »
As with many things from Beaver, there was little uniformity from coach to coach.  Some coaches had the ladder mounting points on the left, others on the right.  Check yours out before drilling holes.

Ed Bunker is correct.  The safety feature of a securely mounted ladder is important.  The transition from the ladder to the roof, from a leaning ladder is tricky.  Most permanently mounted ladders have hand rails extending a few feet across the roof for climber stability.

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 04:54:33 AM »
Richard, that is the same folding ladder I referred to in my posts.  The 7 ft. gives better access to things high on the coach, but is more expensive due to having steps on both sides, and that also makes it heavier.  If there is a 7 footer available with steps on only one side, like my 6 footer, I'd go that route to save money;  but I don't think a 7ft. single sided version is made.  In that case, the one on your wish list will do the job fine.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:16:48 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
Richard, take a look at these.  Pretty much like what you referance except the they collapse and work also as an extension ladder.  Fits easily in a small bay.  The 7" can be gotten at Costco pretty reasonably.  Also, very stable.

http://www.littlegiantladder.com/little-giant/type-1.html

Richard Cooper

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »
I've measured the depth of my middle bays and it's 5'5" approx.  So, good thing I did not order the expanding collapsible ladder from Amazon that was 6 ft tall.  I need a 5 ft one now.  I don't have room to lay the ladder parallel to the coach body.  That would just mess up all my storage plans.  I do not have a ladder on the back of the coach, unfortunately.  That's where a lot of RVers store their external ladders.

I've looked on Amazon and this one I really like --- can't see that it's made in a 5 ft model:  http://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-SLDD7-Compact-Folding/dp/B009IJUL4O/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1366651874&sr=1-7

Here's a GP Logistics that is 5 ft but the step ladder only steps on one side --- is that ideal?  Or would you rather have steps on both sides?
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-Compact-Folding-Ladder/dp/B002PNRSMS#productDetails

I do not want a telescoping ladder --- I like this type of folding ladder and it compacts down to 3-1/2 x 3-1/2" x 61 inches long (single sided though).