Author Topic: Hydro Hot Question  (Read 4565 times)

Bill Jourdain

Hydro Hot Question
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:51:50 PM »
I went to the coach in storage today and found that the house batteries were dead.  These are fairly new batteries and have never just gone dead while in storage.  After getting the generator going and the batteries charging (No AC power at the storage location), I checked to see if any basement or closet lights were left on, etc.  I found nothing to explain the sudden drain on the house batteries (the inverter was also switched off).  After getting the batteries recharged, I turned off the generator and got ready to leave the coach.  That's when I discovered that the Hydro Hot circulation pump #1 was running as shown by an indicator light on the Hydro Hot basement panel, and I could hear it running from the Hydro Hot compartment.  Neither the electric or diesel Hydro Hot switches inside the coach were on and their respective indicator lights were not lit.  

Why would the Hydro Hot circulation pump be running with the system switched off?  Short of turning this off at the breaker panel, if there a way to fix this issue?  Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Hydro Hot Question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
See if you can reach Orman and run it past him - David Richelderfer may have his number, or check the member directory.  Sounds like a switch or thermostat circuit to ground in whichever zone is serviced by pump #1.  But if the house master battery switch was off during storage, there should have been no battery drain by the HH system, by a short or otherwise.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
Thanks, Joel.  The master switch was not off (I hate to admit that I'm not sure where that is located in my coach - I assume you don't mean the "salesman switch" by the front door that is labeled "Coach Power").  Maybe Orman will respond here about the circulating pump staying on.  Thanks.

Bill

Quote from: Joel Ashley
See if you can reach Orman and run it past him - David Richelderfer may have his number, or check the member directory.  Sounds like a switch or thermostat circuit to ground in whichever zone is serviced by pump #1.  But if the house master battery switch was off during storage, there should have been no battery drain by the HH system, by a short or otherwise.

Joel

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:36:09 PM »
You can always click on Orman's name on one of his posts, which will take you to his member page, and send him a PM or email from there.

No, we should never touch the Coach Power switch by the door - it isn't designed for repeated owner use, which can really cause problems... been there done that;  I've considered removing the switch altogether to remove its temptation.

My master switches are above the batteries, but I understand some coaches don't have them.  Some owners have installed their own, purchasing switches at marine supply stores.  I would think one of your vintage would have a factory set, one for the house side and one for the chassis side.  They should be near the batteries, to take advantage of short, large, high-amp wires.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 02:22:19 AM »
I've been using the Coach Power switch to turn everything off before I plug into, or unplug from the campground's power station, which is what I was taught when we bought our Beaver. I like the idea of using the master switches instead. Also, our Beaver has master chassis and motor heat switches at the left of the driver's seat.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:36:24 AM »
Hello Bill
Sounds as though you have a bad control board, or possibly miss wired, or ths pump itself is shorted to grd,

Remove the unit cover, unplug the circulation pump, (the pump on the left) This will stop that pump from running until you can do some trouble shooting.
By the way I will be at the Gillette rally,
Thanks
Orman
PS. feel free to call me

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies here.  Orman, I will not be at Gillette but hope to be at Perry in 2014 (We have a farm less than 4 miles from there)!  I'll do some checking on the system and see what I can come up with.

Bill