Author Topic: Exhaust Brake seized  (Read 6721 times)

Bob Jae

Exhaust Brake seized
« on: May 15, 2013, 04:04:24 AM »
Our new to us 2006 Monterey with at Cat C9 was not holding back on the small hills we have her in Western NY.  So I open up the hatches and it appears to be seized up.  I could not get it to budge.  However there is really not a good way to grab it.  So I am looking for tips and tricks to free up the exhaust brake.  I have ordered the proper Pac Brake Lube to use if I get it working.  I do have an extended warranty so that is an option also.  Thanks in advance

Bob Jae

Re: Exhaust Brake seized
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:07:20 AM »
I should have meontioned that I soaked it with PB Blaster to soak over night.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:49:37 AM »
Bob, are you sure that the exhaust brake is seized instead the just being hard to over come the normal force required to hold the valve open. A seized valve on an exhaust brake is not a normal occurrence. The usual reason for an exhaust brake failure is electrical.

Gerald  

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:05:12 AM »
Hi Bob:
I had a similar situation a while back with a previous coach that had a Jacobs exhaust brake on a Cummins 8.3 litre. I had been driving down some serious grades and couldn't understand why the exhaust brake switch didn't seem to do much, so checked and ,like yours it was seized open. I removed the assembly and started working on the butterfly valve with copious amounts of WD40 and it loosened up, replaced the assembly and all was well. Not that hard to take apart, there were two Brass C clamps with flanges that hang on to the two sides of the exhaust, remove them and the exhaust butterfly assembly just drops out from between the two pieces of exhaust.
Hope this helps,
Dwight

Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Bob Jae

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:47:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Gerald, when I turn the exhaust brake switch on the transmission indicates 2nd gear and tries to slow the coach and continues to shift down on flat ground.  On hills here in western NY the coach gains speed quickly and does not slow down.  If I manually switch to 2nd gear and then turn on the exhaust brake there is no difference.  Is there a way to activate the pac brake while sitting still so I can observe it.  The bed has to be propped up to open the hatch over the brake so tough to drive down the road and observe it.  How much air can I feed into the pac brake to see if it moves that way.

I can not move it with a big set of channel locks.

Thanks for the ideas

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »
Bob,
If you disconnect the linkage from the air cylinder to the exhaust "butterfly valve" on the exhaust brake the valve should move easily. If it will not move, you have probably found your problem. The valve can usually be freed-up with penetrating oil, but you usually need to remove it to access the shaft from the inside. However if the valve moves easily with the air cylinder disconnected, you probably have an electrical problem, and you will need to trace the circuit to locate the problem.

The exhaust valve can not be activated when sitting still unless you jump the circuitry to the air control solenoid.

Gerald

Bob Jae

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
Thanks Gerald
Any idea where the air control solenoid is I tried to trace the air line back but without any luck, pretty crowded back there.  Unfortunately I do not have the wiring diagrams for this coach.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:19 AM »
Bob,
I am not sure were the air control solenoid is located on your coach, I would just have to trace the air line to the "butterfly valve" actuating cylinder.

Gerald  

Bob Jae

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »
Well Thanks to Gerald's ideas and encouragement and Joel's encouragement and sending me the wiring diagram for the exhaust brake circuit I was able to get the pac brake moving and working properly again.

Gerald suggested disconnecting the linkage from the air cylinder and seeing if the butterfly valve moved.  I took the e-clip off the top of the pin and tried to push it down, no joy.  I had to get a drift pin and a good sized hammer.  It finally started to move, added more oil.  drove the pin down until it bottomed out on the bracket.  There was not enough clearance to get it all the way out.  But now I was able to move the linkage a little, this must be the pivot that was seized up.  I was able to wedge a screwdriver under the pin and work it up some, more oil.  I used a bigger screwdriver and was able to get the pin all the way back up.  I was able to work the linkage about half way a few times.  I decided to put the e-clip back on being careful not to have it spring off.  Of course it did fly off into the engine.  I went and got my magnet tool and looked under the coach.  It was not there.  I went back up in the coach and said a prayer and the first place I looked I saw the clip laying.  Extended the magnet and got it.  Finally got it installed.

Then I got out Joel's wiring diagrams.  They showed K9 in the front electrical bay wire #204 feeding the exhaust air solenoid.  Found it easily.  I made a jumper up with a fuse in it.  Pulled wire 204 off the relay and verified that it said exhaust solenoid, jumped it to 12V and I could hear the valve actuate.  I moved the jumper to 12V that was controlled by the ignition.  I went in and turned the ignition on and checked to make sure sure the valve opened all the way.  I cycled it a few times and made sure it also closed all the way.  All looked good.  I removed the jumpers and picked up the tools.  Closed up the hatches and pulled in the slides, time for a test drive.

We live halfway down a hill so I fired up the Cat and headed down the hill.  The pac brake worked as designed.  I pulled into the salt barn and turned around.  Now for the real test down the big hill on the other side of the road.  Up past the house and down the big hill.  I started down the hill at 35 and max speed I reached was 38, great job of holding back the coach.  The other day I had to use a lot of brake to stay at 40 going down this hill.  Went all the way to the town garage and turned around in the big lot up there.  The brake seems to be working as it should.  Since I use it all the time it should continue to give me good service.

Thanks to all who commented or sent me emails.

PS I called Monaco Parts and was able to order all the wiring diagrams for my coach.  $50 plus shipping.