Author Topic: Where is the dash air conditioning service port?  (Read 16261 times)

Bill Sprague

Where is the dash air conditioning service port?
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:09:07 AM »
My dash air has gradually become less cold.  The motorhome is 10 years old with 100,000 miles so I suspect it needs a little boost of refrigerant.  I bought a can with a pressure gauge attached that should snap on to a fill port.  On our cars it is easy to spot the port.  I can't find it on our 2004 Monterey.  

Any advice on where to look?

Thanks.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Where is the dash air conditioning service port?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »
Bil, alot changed between our Pat and your Monty.  Just for the example, ours is under the hood, right of the heater box and lower than the evaperator cylinder.  This is from memory but I believe itto be correct.
I seem to recall that the fill vlave is just a schrader valve with a grey cap.

Let e know if this works as we need to do the same thing to ours.

Best
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »
Bill,
We will probably have to wait for a fellow Monterey owner with the same year coach to get a exact answer to your question. However I can give you the three most common places that charging ports were installed from the factory.

The first an most logical location is at the compressor, but that was seldom the location selected by the factory. Next is an in line location as the refrigerant lines are leaving the engine compartment. This location is accessible from under the coach. The last and most difficult location to access is under the front cap, by the evaporator case. Unfortunately, the location under the front cap seems to have been the favorite location for the design crew.

Gerald      

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:10:20 PM »
Hi Bill
It is up under the front cap. With the generator racked out you will find it about 6 inches up from the edge of the opening toward your left when looking at the coach.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
Thank you Keith, Gerald and Harvey.  It is not at the compressor.  That's where I expected to be and it is not.  I took a quick look up front by the genset and didn't see it. I will take a more serious look there. Today or tomorrow.  As Harvey has a 04 Monterery with a Cummins, I suspect we have similar systems.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »
First, I admit, until Keith mentioned it in his post, I have never heard of a schrader valve. I Googled it and discovered its similar to an air valve for tires. Since I was under the generator today, I looked to see if I could find an air conditioniing service port. These pictures are the closest thing I found. One is with a rubber cap on, and the other is with it off. For some reason, my iPhone takes crappy pictures. I suspect its the operator.

Is this what Bill is looking for?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:56:26 PM »
Stan,
No, the picture that you posted was of the electric air compressor for your air leveling system.

Gerald

Larry Butcher

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:31:12 AM »
I have a 2004 Montery with the Cummins engine.
My refrigerant service ports are very near where refrigerant lines enter the A/C compressor in the engine compartment.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 05:36:19 AM »
Quote from: Harvey Ziegler
Hi Bill
It is up under the front cap. With the generator racked out you will find it about 6 inches up from the edge of the opening toward your left when looking at the coach.
It was about 6 inches up but almost in the center, maybe slightly to the passenger side.  I bought the refrigerant can with the longest hose because it was on sale.  The long hose made it easier.

The can had a built in gauge and instructions.  The engine needs to run with the A/C set to full cold on high fan.  The quick connector on the can clips to the fill port, you watch the gauge and pull the trigger.  When the needle moves to the right range, you quit.  The dash air got noticeably colder.

The truth is, I really didn't have to do anything because we are camping with the Schencks.  With Marty helping, there was little I had to do!  Thank you Marty.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »
You are welcome Bill. Thats what Beaver buddies are for. By the way, what three projects are set for today?
Marty

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 04:34:29 AM »
Quote from: Marty and Suzie Schenck
You are welcome Bill. Thats what Beaver buddies are for. By the way, what three projects are set for today?
Marty
Going for a scenic drive with ice-cream, going out to dinner and having a bonfire!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 05:08:38 AM »
Hi Bill,

I'm still looking for it...is this it possibly?

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

neil omalley

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »
Bill: where are you camping?  We'll be back north the first week of June( coming down the homestretch!) Maybe when we have pho you can show me how to recharge my a/c.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »
Quote from: neil omalley
Bill: where are you camping?  We'll be back north the first week of June( coming down the homestretch!) Maybe when we have pho you can show me how to recharge my a/c.
We are camping at Wine Country RV in Prosser for the long weekend.  Is that a pho recharge that's needed?  Or, A/C recharge?

I had always thought A/C charging to be some sort of mystical challenge.  It was surprisingly easy once Marty found the port.

Bill

Bill Sprague

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson
Hi Bill,

I'm still looking for it...is this it possibly?

Stan

Stan,

Mine is 6 or 8 inches above the middle of the genset with it pulled out.   I'll try to take a picture today.