Author Topic: Gravel Roads  (Read 6805 times)

Robert W Carlson

Gravel Roads
« on: November 30, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »
We have a 1997 Marquis with a C7 Cat.  We are strongly considering a 57 day commercial caravan in 2011 to the Canadian Northwest Territories.  We will travel over about 1500 miles of gravel roads.  We're looking for advice on what needs to be done to protect hydraulic and cooling lines in the rear of the coach, if anything.  We already know how to protect our dingy.  Any ideas?

Bruce Benson

Re: Gravel Roads
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »
Don't know that I would worry about it.  If I were, my first thought is to wrap them with the foam pipe insulation that you can buy at a builders supply.  You could hold that on with tie wraps or just wrap the insulation with duck tape.   The advantage to the tie wraps is that they will not be flapping 3 months later when you haven't gotten around to taking it all off.  

A second and better thought would be to buy some rubber hose large enough to fit around the existing hose at an auto supply.  Split the new hose by making one cut end to end so that the new hose can be slipped over the old.  Use wire ties to secure it every 4 or so inches.  

Bruce
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:18:27 PM by 275 »

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »
If your coach has a side radiator it is a good idea to check how for the fan projects out of the fan shroud.  You can do this by crawling under the coach.  On a gravel road the fan can catch a rock and rocket it into the radiator. You can protect the radiator with a piece of hardware cloth fastened below the fan shroud to stop the rocks.   This bit of advice came from a friend who worked with one of the caravan groups that go to Alaska.  They had several punctured radiators on their trips over the years.
  On my last trip to Alaska the most damage was done to the rear view minors on the tow car.  Next time I travel on gravel I will protect the backs of those mirrors.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:39:33 PM »
On our 1997 Patriot we have the bottom inch or less exposed on the side radiator and guess we had a passing vehicle throw something and knock a hole in it by pinching it out the edge of the tire with enough force to pierce the radiator. Looked like it had been shot. Was blessd when the engine derated and I was able to limp into Ring Power in Tampa as it happened within a mile of them. Service manager said it was the only time he had seen it happen in 30 years.

Passing vehicles can throw stones or other objects with a lot of force so protect the radiator, condensing core (AC) and intercooler and be sure the bottom is not exposed.

Robert W Carlson

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:40:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Never thought about the radiator.  Have an appointment in Bend in July and hopefully I can have them do the work.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
I do not know what part of the Northwest Territory you are going to, but when I was in Alaska I met a man who had been to Inuvik with a pickup and trailer who lost six tires on the round trip from Dawson City to Inuvik.

I know that our tires are not as easily punctured from sharp pieces of gravel as a pickup tire, but I would check with the caravan operator about potential tire failures and available replacements or consider carrying a spare tire.

Gerald

Robert W Carlson

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 08:09:48 PM »
The caravan definitely goes from Dawson City to Inuvik which is round trip about 1000 miles on gravel.  Maybe we should rethink this trip.  Also would have a problem filling the fresh water tank since there is not outside fill and there is a lot of dry camping.  While it would be a great challenge, do we really need this challenge?  Did Alaska with another coach and had no problems, but this isn't Alaska!! Thanks for the heads up.

Bob