Author Topic: Suggestions in Utah  (Read 6855 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Suggestions in Utah
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »
My wife and I are beginning to plan our trip back home to TN from an extended stay in the Seattle area.  We will be traveling first to BCS in Bend for some service work.  We would normally leave Bend and go across to I5 and head south, going east through AZ and on to TN on I40.  However, I was thinking that we might head out of Bend on highway 20 over to I85 and then down I15 to take in some of the national parks in Utah.  Was wondering if I can get some advice on places to stay, things I shouldn't miss and any other advise and/or suggestions you might have for this portion of our trip.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Suggestions in Utah
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »
We have relatives in Elko, NV, and more often than not begin the summer travel season going there after service at
BCS.  We follow 20 to Burns, then head south on 78/95 to Winnemucca, then east.  This is wide open country with very little traffic but pretty good roads;  many might get bored, but I love no traffic so I can think and concentrate more on the nice ride and drive at my own slow pace.

If you have time, side slip over to the big RV park at tiny Frenchglen, and use the toad to check out Pete French's home and famous round barn and spend twilight cruising the d**e watching for animals on the refuge, have a meal at the Frenchglen Hotel B&B/State Park, fish the Blitzen River or Fish Lake on a tour up the Steens Mtn. Loop.  There is a nice RV Park just south of Malheur Lake, and a small but well-done one near Crane that has great hot springs facilities, including private options.

Whether you want to deal with the dreaded Salt Lake section of I-15 is your call, but I despise it, and if there is another route option I'd take it;  having not actually had your destination in mind, I can't speak to the best alternative, RV parks, or sightseeing, so will leave that to others here.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:46:58 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Sean Donohue

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »
Moab. Near Canyonland and Arches NP. We spent time at a few of the RV parks there. The two links were our favorites in the order of preference. There is one in the center of town that I would not recommend, tight spaces, but close to center of town. But who wants to be there when less then five minutes away you can be in these parks. There are a few south of town that are good but not as nice, but cheaper.

We recommend having breakfast in the Jail... Great food and service. If you have time, take a day trip to Grand Junction CO. Get info on the wineries there for some great wine not over priced. We recommend the Garfield Estate. Also the fruit in that area is great, peaches out of this world.

http://www.moabvalleyrv.com

http://www.slickrockcampground.com

Sean Donohue

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:17:41 PM »
If you need to spend the night along 85 there are a few just off the highway that are wonderful but I need to research them to find them. I do suggest that if you have to stop in Salt Lake, the KAO in SLC is not bad and if the light rail is running now, will have great and easy access to downtown.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 12:26:36 AM »
The problem with southern Utah is that there are too many beautiful national parks to see. Moab is convenient for Arches and Zion but there are three other stunning parks slightly west of there.  Panguitch is a nice little town if you want to see Bryce Canyon and it's only an hour away from Zion.  Capitol Reef is sort of a neglected park but it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere.  We day-tripped to it from Panguitch but it was a long haul.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 01:04:06 AM »
Friends of ours stayed at Zion River Resort and raved about it. Being in Virgin, it may be  bit too far south for you. Have fun!  http://www.zionriverresort.com/
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:15:31 AM »
At Bryce Canyon, the place to stay is Ruby's RV Park, right next door to Ruby's Inn, and across the street from Ruby's diesel station which is 60 cents higher that anywhere else in Utah. Ruby pretty much owns everything in Bryce Canyon City. The RV park is about a mile from the entrance to Bryce Canyon NP. Its also pricey, but nice. We enjoyed our stay there.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

MarcRodstein

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 03:23:34 AM »
Zion National Park is awesome. Stay at the Watchman campground which is just inside the park and just a mile or so by toad to all the shops and restaurants in town. A beautiful campground in a beautiful place if there ever was one. Sites have W&E only.