Author Topic: Windshield cover  (Read 23319 times)

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Windshield cover
« on: July 10, 2013, 02:42:01 AM »
Hi again: I am still trying to determine where I can obtain the best windshield cover for our 05 Patriot Thunder. I really like the Magneshade concept but alas, they don't have a pattern for this model so I guess I am back to the ladder and twist locks. I am sure some of you with the same model have likely purchased exterior mounted screens so am hoping you may be able to tell me which companies have the appropriate pattern and what products you have selected. I am in Canada so it is difficult to have a custom product fabricated. I would like to just order one that I am confident will fit. Any guidance/advice is appreciated,
Thx folks,
Dwight
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Brad Burgess

Re: Windshield cover
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:59:17 AM »
Dwight

MCD provided most of the sunscreens to Monaco/Beaver during that time period.  They were able to provide fitted sun screens for both my 03 and 06 Montereys.  My screens used snaps, not the the twist type fasteners.

Brad Burgess
06 Monterey

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:40 AM »
I did meet and discuss a magneshade with the factory rep at the FMCA in Indio last year he indicated that they could do our 06 Beaver I think yours may be the same one piece window.

I did not buy the shade for storage reasons I went with a shade we put on from inside the rig with suction cups we like it and it stores well in the cabinet above the front window. We bought it at the Quartzite tent show.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jim Skatzka

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »
Dwight, Brad,   mcd no longer makes any exterior products!  (unfortunately)!

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 05:17:21 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions . I did note that MCD no longer makes exterior windshield covers and also checked into the 06 windshield which is different from the 05 Patriot, so back to square one with Magneshade.
I will investigate SunGuard next.
Dwight
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »
We have the Shademaster and can heartily recommend it.  After 6 years it still looks and fits like new.  ;)

http://www.bestrvinc.com/windshield.htm

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

William Brosam

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
joel how much did it run you?

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Carr
I did not buy the shade for storage reasons I went with a shade we put on from inside the rig with suction cups we like it and it stores well in the cabinet above the front window. We bought it at the Quartzite tent show.

Jerry,

Can you provide a brand name or manufacturer's website for the suction cup screen?

Thanks,

Stan

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

George H. Wall

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »
I too have the inside/suction cup shades. The positives are: storage(f0ld up), no ladders or steps to put on/take down, always clean, as they are inside so not exposed to dirt/moisture. I bought @ an RV show and do not remember the brand or name. Also come in several colors. We would not change them for any others!!  

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »
TRY THS COMPANY
http://www.rvsunshades4less.com/OnePieceRVSolarShades.html

I have many of their suction cup shades. Periodically one has to clean the glass where they stick and the suction cup.  Other than that I think they work well.  I don't amonia products for that tho.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 02:14:18 AM »
Stan the shades I purchased came from RV Quick Shades www.rvquickshades.com

They had a booth at the Tent Show Quartzsite
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 07:33:11 AM »
Leah and Jerry,

Thanks for the information and links.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 08:34:03 AM »
I've mentioned this before:  one issue with inside sunblockers is that they trap heat between themselves and the glass.  1) that's not as effective at keeping summer heat out of the coach as an outside cover, and 2) my experience is that the trapped heat accelerates the deterioration of anything caught between, from dash trim components to the glass itself over time.

William, I have looked and can't find my receipt for that job.  I'm confounded because I am in the habit of keeping such things for eons.  I've obviously put it somewhere I shouldn't have.  You should research your own price anyway, as ours was made and installed at the Redmond FMCA rally 6 years ago, at a relative discount, and included entry door and driver's side window and wiper covers, as well as a couple side window awnings.  A big rally is a good place to get just about anything like this done;  often the professional labor is free.  Though I don't recall the cost, I do remember jumping on a great deal, and after 6 years of use I can avow it was.

I thought leaving the cover on part of one winter in storage outside might have been a mistake, since previous covers had badly mildew stained.  I finally removed this one after a few months of rain, following a summer of hot southern sun exposure, and did find black residue here and there, and was mad at myself for leaving the cover on.  But I was subsequently amazed when the thing easily rinsed pristine clean, and to this day looks and fits like it did in 2007.

Here is a list of rallies you can check them out at:

http://www.shadepro.net/Rallies.html

Joel
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:44:06 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »
"one issue with inside sunblockers is that they trap heat between themselves and the glass.  1) that's not as effective at keeping summer heat out of the coach as an outside cover, and 2) my experience is that the trapped heat accelerates the deterioration of anything caught between, from dash trim components to the glass itself over time."

Joel
I feel I have to somewhat disagree with your statement above as it depends how well one ensures the proper fit.  Yes it can contribute to dash deterioration if you don't get the proper fit and placement against the glass not allowing sun in and secure it to the glass, it sure beats the heck out of the outside dirt and climbing on the ladder!!

George H. Wall

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »
I agree with Leah 100%, we have had both kinds, and we would NEVER go back to the dirty outside types!!!