Author Topic: Battery Usage  (Read 5616 times)

Gary Winzenburger

Battery Usage
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
This is a very broad question, but how long should you rely on using just the coach batteries (fully charged, good condition) sitting in your friends driveway and not running the genset? Given there are just 2 of you, operating refrigerator on propane, lights for reading, minimal water pump and TV usage, no heat and 1 AC fan for circulation. I've been wondering about this ever since we bought the coach last winter. Thanks.
Gary

Gerald Farris

Re: Battery Usage
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:30:09 AM »
Gary,
From your description of usage, I would estimate your batteries would need to be recharged every 3 to 4 days if the inverter is only turned on for the minimal TV usage. However, there is one thing in your usage estimate that will not work. You said one A/C fan for ventilation, and that will not work since your A/C unit will not run on the inverter, so I disregarded that usage.

Gerald

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:36:02 AM »
Yes, I thought about the fan after I posted it. Sorry about that. That's a lot longer than I thought the batteries might last for dry camping, or sleeping in while visiting friends where there's not enough shore power, or the neighbors don't want the genset running all night. I don't feel comfortable using 15 A plugs adapted from 30 A adaptors from 50 A cords. Thanks again, Gerald!
Gary

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 02:55:29 AM »
Gary,

If when you arrive your batteries are fully charged, I would turn off any heating elements if you have them for water and enable the 15amps each night while most things are off. Worst you will do is kick a breaker off.

later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 03:29:12 AM »
Gary,

I should add that you can leave the frig on propane to eliminate that load. Your inverter charger may have a setting to limit the 120V current that is drawn to be less than 15amps also. As long as you manage the load you can use the 15amps that is available to you. It just takes more management then a 30 amp feed to the coach. If the batteries get to a low charge state then you can start the charge process with the genset and when you see the load current drop on your 120V monitor panels to about 12 amps combined or less you can switch over to the 15amp feed (which may actually be 20amps).

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 03:30:46 AM »
We regularly borrow people's electricity while parked curbside or in their yard, usually at their insistence.  Even a 100 ft. 16 amp cord in a 15 amp garage or outdoor outlet is usually fine, as long as you remember your limitation.  

Using multiple adapters shouldn't bother you;  I've done it for years and our rig is strung that way in storage right now, albeit using a 50 ft. 12 amp rated cord.  Just don't cut corners on adapter quality - the cheaper ones can melt before a breaker goes.  I carry the 50 ft. 12 amp cord and quality adapters with me, rather than relying on any questionable cord and adapters my host might have in his garage or shop.  I also carry a 30 amp RV extension cord (25ft. I think) just in case it can be used instead.  Make sure no connection point will ever lay in a puddle if it rains.  If we use the microwave we might remember to switch the refer manually to gas in the interim, we don't use the HydroHot on electric, etc., and we set the Magnum interface at 15amp so it knows the limits of our power source.

Barring that I watch the Magnum readout for the current battery voltage.  If it gets down to 12 volts I've lost way too much;  I try not to get below 12.5-13v before kicking on the genset, and do it mid-day for minimal neighbor disturbance, and while watching windage so diesel smoke doesn't inundate anyone either.  The solar panel if exposed to the sun enough is plenty on its own for maintaining batteries aside from any other use.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »
I'm so glad to read all of your inputs on this. I feel better about using 15 A or 20 A service if I need to. We can watch the usage. Oh, the coach came with 15 and 30 A adaptors.
Thanks to all,
Gary

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:59:22 PM »
The more you use low amperage outlets, the more you become accustomed to their limits.  Once in awhile you may forget and some combination of devices will pop your host's panel breaker, but experience will make you more comfortable with the idea.  Don't forget the host will need to watch his own equipment if anything else, say a fridge, a fan, or a tool in his garage, is on the same circuit you tap into.

The weak point is the adapters, so try to use the best;  if the ones that came with the rig are small plain black ones, then seriously consider upgrading - I've seen several of those fry over the years.  Last spring, in fact, my daughter had hooked her small old trailer to our 30 amp RV port.  She has a 30 amp cord off her trailer, but it's too short, and anyway I needed to hook the Beaver in the port too as necessary.  So I adapted at the outlet to a lower amp 3 port tap, and she used her adapter to drop her 30 to a 15 amp cord.  It worked fine since her appliances were low demand and she carefully managed them.  But she'd laid her cord combination on the concrete pad.  During a gullywasher rainstorm I, by sheer luck, was at my garage workbench and heard a "snap" in the main breaker panel nearby.  I looked and it was the RV outlet.  I stepped outside briefly (it was a downpour, remember) but saw nothing awry, so went back and flipped the breaker back on.  It didn't pop again (it should have), but I heard crackling out my garage window, and went out to find her adapter and low-amp cord looking like a firework display.  I threw the breaker.

She'd laid the cord combination such that the adapter connection laid in an almost imperceptible slight depression in the concrete, near the RV pad's edge.  The unusually heavy rain pooled there and ran off the edge to ground, effectively short-circuiting the connection.  Why the breaker didn't pop on its own the second time I don't know, since this was a direct high-current flow straight through the water to earth ground.  Her black triangular adapter was a blob, as was the cord's female end;  her heavy 30 amp end survived unscathed.  I bought her a heavy duty yellow pigtail adapter, replaced her cord end with a high-quality female connector, then looped the cord near the connection over a heavy nail on a nearby cedar fence.  I drilled a 1/4" hole in the side and near the bottom of a large empty potato salad container, and hung it upside down over the nail, the connection tucked up inside and further protected.

That last step may be overkill.  Just don't get too cash conscious when buying adapters, and then minimize their exposure to water;  lay them on a high point along the run, and preferably on gravel out of the rain under the coach, or protected in some way from ever lying in accumulated water, or wet grass, etc.  Like anything else regarding our coaches, you have to think ahead and take precautions, but not let fretting keep you from optimizing and enjoying your ownership.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:32:45 PM »
I'm a parent, so it's my job to fret, plus it's in my DNA. I've always tried to buy items of "quality". I guess that's why we started looking at Beaver, and Foretravel motorcoaches. Years ago, we owned a Sportscoach, a cousin had a Barth. Both very good units. I won't go "cheap". Thanks for all your comments - they've been a big help.
Gary