Author Topic: Want to say thanks - and more newbie questions!  (Read 10198 times)

John Padmore

Want to say thanks - and more newbie questions!
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:57:30 PM »
First of all I want to thank all who have helped my since I bought my first coach in March. I have had a few problems (good thing I got it at a decent price) and all have been helpful and patient with me asking my newbie questions. I really appreciate the support here and the depth of knowledge by you folks is amazing.

Secondly, if I may I need to ask a few more newbie questions. On Saturday 8/17 we will be taking our first long trip from NY to Colorado. I figure it will take us 3 or 4 days (1836 miles). Unfortunately we do not have the time to smell the roses along the way.  :-/

Once we arrive we will park the motorhome and use it for 10 more days, then we will fly back to NY. We won't see the coach again until Christmas. Here are the questions:

1. We will be parking on flat hard pack soil. Should I put 2X12 wood blocks under each tire before I level the coach?
2. Are tire UV guards a good idea?
3. I will need to winterize the coach. My plan was to drain all tanks and open all drain valves at the low end. Then blow air through the lines while opening up the respective faucets to evacuate the water. I am familiar with this technique from my boating days. Good idea?

Again, I appreciate all the help from you friendly folks and I hope to be a part of the Beaver community for a long time.....thanks.

John

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Want to say thanks - and more newbie questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »
John,

Please tell us if you will have electric hookup while you are gone, and if so, how many amps.

Larry

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:15 AM »
John,

My opinions;
Wood blocks are probably not needed if the soil is well packed but might be good if you are worried about the surface getting soft due to rain/melted snow. You might also want to consider increasing the air pressure in the tires if it is going to sit for an extended period. IN any case putting it on wood blocks can't hurt.

UV shields for tires can help but some tire mfgrs (i.e. Goodyear) claim they have added UV resistors to the sidewall rubber. Again, can't hurt. I had Goodyears on a coach a few years ago and used the shields when I had it parked in storage.

Winterizing. There are some good threads on this topic on the forum. Be sure you don't forget the traps, water heater/hydro hot unit, and washer/dryer.

Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:25:28 AM »
John,
There may be a few flaws in your winterizing plans, depending on exactly what equipment your coach has. Does you coach have an electric water heater, washer, and icemaker? Also, I believe your model coach came with a Hurricane heating system, is that correct?

Gerald

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 04:52:47 AM »
Gerald,

I think Hurricane started in 1998.  He should have an AquaHot system in 1997.

Larry

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:37:24 AM »
If you have Aqua Hot or Hydro Hot, you can't blow out the lines. There will always be some water in the bottom of the coils, and if it freezes, big problems. You must pump (using your water pump) anti freeze into the water lines until they run pink on both hot and cold. This will assure that the coils are winterized.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

John Padmore

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »
OK, here are the answers:

1. No electric to the coach until Christmas once I leave
2. No electric water heater.
3. No washer/dryer.
4. Have an icemaker, but I can blow the water out of the line.
5. I have an Aquahot unit

Thanks.....

John

Orman Claxton

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
John
Be sure to follow Stan's advice on winterizing your aqua-Hot,using antifreeze the pink stuff made for the purpose, you can purchase at any Rv store, Walmart etc., don't be shy, use lots.  8)

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
John,

It would probably be safest if you attached a hose to the inlet of the water pump and pumped the pink stuff until it came out all the faucets. If you have to do that for the aquahot you might as well just keep going, it is the safest. That would mean open the low point drains momentarily until pink comes out, include the outside faucet if you have one. RVs have traps on the drains that boats do not, so as you do this process you will also fill the drains. If you choose to blow air through the lines at least finish by pouring the pink stuff down each drain. The water inlet at the service panel can be blown out first with just the cold low point drain open to clear that line. There are threads on this procedure. Colorado gets cold and you just do not want to have to worry.

Later Ed

John Padmore

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »
Thank you all for your input. You have talked me out of air blowing the lines. I just bought a load of pink RV antifreeze :).....thanks.

John

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »
Quote from: John Padmore
Thank you all for your input. You have talked me out of air blowing the lines. I just bought a load of pink RV antifreeze :).....thanks.

John
Mine takes 4.5 gallons.

Be sure to leave the doors open on the fridge.  You wouldn't believe what grows in there if you don't!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »
I left mine in an open RV storage lot for a couple months.  I winterized with the pink stuff and turned the batteries off with the two battery switches.  I disconnected the battery from the toad.  So everything was as dead as I could get it.

Two months later I returned.  The batteries still had enough charge to get things going.  My backup plan, in case of dead batteries, was to get the genset going first.  From it, I would charge everything else.

John Padmore

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »
Thanks Bill. I plan to disconnect the batteries also. I will be parking on my son's property so an extension cord to charge up the batteries is no problem.
Always, always leave the fridge open! 8) Thanks.....

John

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 05:38:11 AM »
For the fridge, put some coffee grounds (before brewing) in a dark sock and place in the fridge.  It absorbs the moisture and leaves a very nice smelling fridge.  Did this to a house fridge for two years when transferred to the Philippines.  Also did it for every change of station move and never had anything grow in the fridge.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

John Padmore

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
Roy, I like that idea and will give it a try - thanks!.....

John