Author Topic: Rixen Comfort Hot  (Read 3421 times)

Dick Simonis

Rixen Comfort Hot
« on: August 22, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
I'm thinking about this addition to my Hurricane and wondering how has this already installed and how you like it.

Thanks

Dick

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:05:31 PM by 235 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Rixen Comfort Hot
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
Dick,
This subject has been discussed several times on this forum, and you can find those threads with the search feature.

I installed a Comfort Hot unit in my 2000 Marquis about 6 years ago an it has worked flawlessly. As a fulltimer who spends almost all of my time on full-hookups, it has been a great addition to my coach. However, if you use your coach for summer vacation trips of 3 or 4 months and rarely spend extended periods of time in the coach in cold weather, it would be very difficult if not impossible to justify the cost of a Comfort Hot unit. The early Patriots with a Hurricane did not have electric water heaters, so a Comfort Hot in those coaches was almost a necessity, but since you have an electric water heater, you will have to decide the question for yourself. But remember, a Comfort Hot system will not replace the performance of a Hurricane, it will just add an electrical supplement to it.  

As for the performance of a Comfort Hot unit, you can heat the coach on 30A service when the outside temperature is in the low 40s. On 50A service you can heat the coach with the outside temperature into the mid 20s or a little lower depending on how warm you want to keep the coach. When the temperatures are lower you will have to run the Hurricane to supplement the Comfort Hot system, or at any time that you need to cut back on electricity usage especially when on 30A service because the Comfort Hot unit has two elements that each draw 17A. So on 30A service, with just one element running, there is only about 10A left for everything else in the coach when you figure in the current that the heat exchanger fans use while being powered through the inverter.  

Gerald  

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:45:51 PM »
Thanks Gerald.

I know that the need would be somewhat limited during our summer trip, but yet we often see temp into the low 40's high 30's depending where we are.  The Hurricane takes about 10 minutes to warm up from cold and start producing heat so my thinking is that this unit would start giving heat immediately and simply get warmer as the burner heats things up.

The other use, perhaps even more important is for when the coach is stored alongside the house and we see temps into the mid-teens.  In the past I've had to leave the Hurricane on with the thermostats set to 47F.

And yes, I'm struggling to justify the cost.  I was also hoping to see an installation or two at 7 feathers before I make a decision.

Dick

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
Dick,
My coach will be a Seven Feathers if you would like to see the way that I installed the unit. Since I installed the Comfort Hot unit myself, you may want to look at one of the other coaches that will be there that was installed by someone else. I am positive that there will be another 2000 Marquis there with a Comfort Hot unit, and probably several other coaches including Patriots as well.

Gerald