Author Topic: Cargo Doors  (Read 3339 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

Cargo Doors
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »
Does anybody have an idea how to keep the skin of the doors attached at the top?  The very small weld seems to,have broken on my water bay door.  

Don't want to have to weld which would require repainting.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Gary Winzenburger

Re: Cargo Doors
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:59:01 PM »
Hi Tom and Pam,
Please see my posting "Poor Workmanship" in the General Discussion section. With the exception of one member, most are tired of talking about this, or don't want to admit Beaver had some bad years. I don't think there was poor workmanship, just very poor design and/or engineering, and, in my case, it could have been tragic. Do what you have to do to secure these doors!
Gary

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »
I have searched the forum and found your post and that was all, that's why I posted how others have addressed this issue without welding and painting.

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »
The only advise I would give is to take it to a body shop and have them look at it. They had to weld ours plus installed new and bigger side pistons. Yes, I'll have to repaint these welds, but I'll wait until this winter and have them do more body work at the same time.

Steven Hoffman

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:27:31 AM »
Tom

The PO had the same problem on the wet bay door and used a couple of (stainless steel my guess) pop rivets.  He applied some touch up paint and you can hardly see them.  If I am ever having painting done the rivets can be removed when the doors are welded.

Steve