Author Topic: Drain Hydro Hot  (Read 19528 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Drain Hydro Hot
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 04:42:27 AM »
Most use a 50/50 mix, but it is more than enough.  

It's more important to keep regular water (for hot water use, not coach heating) from freezing inside the exchanger coil.  If the coach is overwinter stored, you should at least pump RV potable water antifreeze until it comes out the hot water taps;  that will protect the AquaHot, but pump through the cold water taps, toilet, washer, and icemaker also, and a cup in each drain trap, to protect everything.  If the coach is in use in cold country, simply keep the AquaHot on.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Jae

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
Yep Joel we always do that, thanks.  I am just figuring the dealer will use water to test and find the leak which will fill the heat exchangers with water also.  I want to get the right mix of boiler coolant back into the system when it is finally repaired.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »
Bob,
The repair facility should have a hydrometer to test the specific gravity of your boiler fluid. The specific gravity reading will enable them to determine the concentration of the boiler fluid and therefore the freezing point.

Gerald

Orman Claxton

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
Bob
 The best way is to drain and discard all coolant
 Purchase 3 gal, Camco -100 deg Boiler, 3 gal, Distilled water, mix 50/50 assuring proper mix.
you will have $75-$100. invested
Call if you need to discuss anything.
Safe travels

Bob Jae

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »
Thanks I will ask them if they measured the coolant and what temperature I am protected to.  The coach is at the dealer now.  First call from them said it did not look good for and easy fix, but they still have not found the source of the leak.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 03:12:10 AM »
Bob
Where are you and who is doing the work?

Bob Jae

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:37 AM »
I am in Western NY and Colman RV is doing the work, they are the dealer that sold me the Beaver.  They were a Holiday Rambler and Monaco Dealer for years.  I just do not know the technicians working on the coach.  Wish I was close to you.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 04:41:11 AM »
Bob
Looks like Coleman Rv is not an Aqua-Hot Authorized service center,
Just be carefull, Don't let them Rape you.
Sometimes they use a trial and error method.
Call me if you need.

neil omalley

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 04:43:22 AM »
Orman: Is six gallons all the aqua hot takes to fill from empty?  I was under the impression it took quite a bit more?

Orman Claxton

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 04:53:54 PM »
Neil
No, THe Monterey has a model HH unit, which takes between 5-6 gal. coolant water mix.
The larger unit Model AH will hold 16-20 gals coolant water mix,
all depending on size of coach ,number of heater register, length of coach, etc.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »
Bob
Have them to pressureize the system,very easy to do. check the coolant fill neck, under the cap. even the cap.The rear of the system also has several locations for possible leaks
Keep us posted

Bob Jae

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 02:24:49 AM »
Thanks Orman, Buffalo RV is the Authorized service center in Buffalo but they have a horrible reputation.  My daughter used to work at Colton and we have a relationship there.  They tell me they have worked on a lot of units.  I believe the leak is down low as most of the coolant appears to have run out.  I did look at the back of the unit through the access panel and did not see any leaks.  Will keep you posted when I know more.  We left on the trip we had planned and are staying in hotels and with family.  We shortened the trip but are doing a lot of what we wanted to do.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 05:21:41 AM »
I highly recommend Colton Truck Service.  They did a very fine job for us a few years ago and we were quite happy with their work and professionalism.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Bob Jae

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 01:45:23 AM »
Well the adjuster came today submitted his report and now the company wants the unit removed from the coach, so they can open up the sheet metal and take more pictures.  The shop did not find a remanufactured unit like the ext war people wanted but evidently Aqua Hot has one HHE-200-9E unit left in stock.  I asked them to price the 450D also.  I authorized them to remove the unit, it has to be fixed one way or the other.

I have told the shop I want the old unit for spare parts.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 04:14:17 PM »
Bob,
You will likely be billed for the removal & opening of system,
Seems the repair shop showing where the coolant was leaking from would be enough. Go Figure  8)