Author Topic: Cleaning windows or windshield spotless/smearless  (Read 6564 times)

Richard Cooper

Cleaning windows or windshield spotless/smearless
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:59:02 AM »
I am so frustrated having gotten the ladder out today and cleaned my coach windows and windshield only to discover this afternoon with the sun shining through that I did a terrible job.  Smears, streaks.  When I was cleaning it and no sun onto it (but a moderate wind to dry my effort) I thought for sure I had done a good job.

I used a soft clean cloth to dry with.  I was using Zep Commercial brand "Streak-Free Glass Cleaner" which contains alcohol and amonia.

What is the technique of professionals to get a windshield clean as new?  Side windows too?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Cleaning windows or windshield spotless/smearless
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:30:04 AM »
Hi Richard, I just use the bucket with car wash, rinse and dry with micro fiber, I will occasionally add a coat of rain X  
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »
The guy who does my coach when we're in Corpus Christi in the winter uses this stuff.  Not only doesn't it streak, it removes all the water spots.  I bought some and it really does work.  I know this isn't in accordance with the label, but I won't argue with success.  I asked the folks at West Marine about using it on glass and they said they have heard people do and that it works:  http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GSF21PNYLHbeH8PTZGX97Rgl

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:46:16 AM »
I have used turtle wax on my car windshield for 40 years. It still works better than anything else I have tried.  Smear it on and let it haze over, buff it off, just like on the paint.

Steve Adams

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »
Richard, I used 0000 steel wool to clean my windhield then gave it two coats of rain X. Worked pretty well.

My wife recommended wiping the windhield (or any window for that matter) one way on the outside and the other way on the inside. That way it is easy to tell where your streak is, inside or out. Works for me!

Steve

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »
Richard,

If you take Windex and pour a small amount in a partial bucket of water, so it is a very diluted solution, that solution will do the job.  Use a clean sponge to wash the window and a scrubber sponge with a mesh for the bugs as needed. You will find that it cleans well and does not evaporate so quickly. You then use a squeegee and blade off the solution, wiping the liquid off the blade with a cloth as you go. You need a good suitable squeegee that will conform to that window. That is a streak free method that professional window washers use although the solutions may vary. We seldom go through this level of "detail" on the motorhome but do use this method at home. If we were full timing and staying put for awhile, and the streaks were an issue, that is the technique we would use.

If paper towels are involved at all you will get streaks.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »
Part of Richard's problem may be his location.  When I've tried washing windshields at the coast it was made more difficult by the incessant blowing fine mist.  It is nearly invisible in the air even in the best of weather, but it's still there.  When drying, you may be just working in sea minerals and not know it.

I've sworn by Ed's method too, as that's the way pros do it.  But on our curved windshields, squeegeeing inevitably left streaks - ghosts of the squeegee edge.  But in recent years I've reverted to my folding ladder, Bug Off and 20/20, a good pump sprayer rinse bottle, and hand washing and drying with clean terry cloth.  Usually done in the cool evening or when the sun is off the glass, after a day's drive.

Getting wax on the windshield doesn't work for us since we occasionally find ourselves driving after dark;  the wax may keep bugs and dirt from sticking but it augments glare from headlights.  Siliconeing with Rain-X would be better, but it depends on an immaculately clean surface and is an awful lot of work.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat