Author Topic: Cat C 9  (Read 4380 times)

Orman Claxton

Cat C 9
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »
On my 2005 Beaver Monterey  Cat  c 9,
What is considered excessive smoke on acceleration from stop. I have smoke from the beginning.
Does anyone else?

John Jahr

Re: Cat C 9
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 04:18:25 AM »

Same coach, same engine and mine does does the same

John

Orman Claxton

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:30:11 AM »
Thanks John
I'm wondering if there is a soft ware up grade

Tom Nathan

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:33:31 PM »
I have an 06 same motor and run
Amsoil 15-40 synthetic and since 07 when added get a cleaner burn and no smoke. Dont want to get into an oil discussion but have it analized yearly and with 40K miles runs like new.
Tom Nathan<br />2006 Monterey Cat C9-400/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 24ft Haulmark Transporter Trailer

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
Orman,

The color of the smoke is helpful here and may take someone following to sort it out. White condensation smoke on start and early warm up is normal if cool outside and should just be ignored. I suspect that you are bringing this up because you have seen black smoke that is unburned fuel, and it would seem like Cat could do something about your engine running fuel rich if it is a constant. The Cat forum may also be helpful if you join and post over there. If Cat tried to get the HP rating of that motor up beyond the original design for motorhome use, they may have pushed the fuel end of things too far, but they have usually been conservative in the past so I do not think that they would have gone to extremes. In my coach I have a later C12 which started out at 410HP and by the end of the C12 run with some piston cooling changes they reached 505HP for some applications like ours. With that increase in HP, they push more fuel, and I have not seen black smoke except rarely if I'm really lugging down RPM wise on a hill and it is still minimal. Different motor but probably a similar injection and ECU monitor system. Cat should be able to tell you if there is a program update for this symptom.

Later Ed

John Jahr

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 02:53:31 AM »
Mine isn't black smoke, I think it is mostly moisture burning off. And it doesn't last very long.

John

Joe House

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »
Orman, On my way back from the BAC rally at Sevenfeathers I stopped at Peterson Cat in Medford to get a fuel leak taken care of and while I was there the tech installed new flash file,looked for new service letters and found none. Not sure what the new flash file addressed. Joe House 05 Beaver C9 .

Gary Carver

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:35:08 AM »
If you don't want to waste that fuel that is black smoke comming out of your exaust ease down on the throttle and let the turbo catch up ----you are only feeding it two much fuel on take off----cat has a real turbo lag problem but when you are up to speed it will not smoke as the turbo is up to pressure