Author Topic: Directv cable  (Read 8177 times)

Dale Malquist

Directv cable
« on: October 10, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
When I bought the coach I had an outside entertainment center custom built in. The dealer ran a cable on the roof and then down to the compartment just ahead of the propane bay. I complained about that and they then used the factory cable and abandoned theirs and sealed up the hole they made. All was fine for years but now there is no continuity on that cable.
I would abandon the factory cable and run one across the roof if I could find out how to get from the roof to the bay.

Joel Weiss

Re: Directv cable
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 05:13:25 PM »
IMHO don't bother with any of that. With the new DirecTV Genie DVR HR44 you can use wireless Mini Genie "clients" to provide TV throughout your "house".  The wireless Mini is new and supplies are a bit short, but they completely eliminate the need to snake cable through the MH.  I just had DirecTV install a Genie and convert my Trav'ler to SWM all at no cost to me.

Mike Groves

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »
All,

Rather than start a new thread, I searched Genie and found this one from 2013.  Now that its 2016 and I am finally considering my options to replace our Kingdome in-motion on Dish Network with either an RF Mogul or Winegard Trav'ler with SWM technology I just wanted to ask for clarification on a point or two.

Since we're going to the Winegard Trav'ler we will have the choice of Direct TV or Dish, both in HD, so we're picking Directv.  I've read that with the Genie DVR and another Genie remote box in the bedroom of our 40' Marquis that we'd only require a SINGLE coax from the Trav'ler or RF Mogul into the Genie DVR (which would be up front where our current satellite feed comes in from the KingDome). 

My understand is that because of the SWM technology a SINGLE coax output from the roof antenna provides the only input to the Genie DVR that is necessary and the DVR is set up to transmit wirelessly to the remote Genie we'd then have connected in the bedroom.  No other connections are required as was the case "in the old days of Genie" where Genie communicated over the coach coax to either the basement TV connector or the rear bedroom connector.  Because this is now wireless we can even use the original over the air coax to still allow live OTA TV in the back bedroom.

So, my assumptions are, SWM Antenna plus Genie DVR plus 1 Genie remote, a subscription from Directv including paying for an additional receiver would allow me the same product that is installed in a home.

Is this correct?  And if not where am I going wrong?

Mike

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 03:25:34 PM »
Your explanation sounds coincident to my understanding of this technology.  I would only add that both DirecTV and DISH have this technology.  The DISH unit is called a HOPPER.

I called DISH to check on getting two HOPPERS - one for my house and another for my coach.  My understanding from the DISH employee was I am allowed only one HOPPER per subscription, and I wanted both HOPPERS on my one subscription.  So I did not make the deal.  I later found out a friend who has a large house has two HOPPERS on his one subscription - one HOPPER upstairs and one HOPPER downstairs.  So I need to check in with DISH again to see about my idea.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »
David, i have a Hopper in the house and a Hopper and Joey in the MH.  They gave me a bit of grief when I called but when I explained the second Hopper and Joey were going into a detached "guest house" with it's own dish it was all OK.  The key being that the one Dish could not be used for the second installation.  At no time did I mention it was a MH.  The installer are all contractors so they don't give a rip.  Think the cost adder was $9.00 or so.

It all depends which CS rep you get.

Dick

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:51:46 PM »
Mike,
We have Geni in our stick home but not the RV. Your description sounds correct based on our home installation, single cable etc. Only additional consideration would be a 2nd remote in case you and DW want to watch different channels in bedroom and salon.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Groves

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 05:06:40 PM »
Ok, sounds like I should expect to pay around $400 for the installation of the Sat Antenna.  Is that close? 

Mike

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 05:15:02 PM »
We had ours installed for about $540. Labor was $480 of it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 11:42:46 PM »

So, my assumptions are, SWM Antenna plus Genie DVR plus 1 Genie remote, a subscription from Directv including paying for an additional receiver would allow me the same product that is installed in a home.

Is this correct?  And if not where am I going wrong?

Mike

You omitted the Wireless Video Bridge which is the component that broadcasts the wireless signal to the remote Genie (usually referred to as a miniGenie).  The wireless signal is not created by the Genie DVR itself.  The Video Bridge can be connected to the coax coming from the roof to the Genie; a SWM splitter is used to do that.  There are some recommended spacings between the Video Bridge and the Genie but I know quite a few people who have cheated on those and have been Ok.  Here's a link for purchasing the Video Bridge: https://smile.amazon.com/DIRECTV-WVB-Wireless-Video-Bridge/dp/B00IT9F4KK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465598520&sr=8-1&keywords=directv+video+bridge

Personally, we used a wired miniGenie in the bedroom because it wasn't all that difficult to run a coax across the roof and bring it inside.  Yes, it required a new roof penetration, but the place that did that knew how to properly shield it from the elements.

Joel

Mike Groves

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 05:32:29 AM »
Joel,

I ordered the Directv system yesterday from Directv and they only list my equipment (to be installed by a local installer for Directv) to be the Genie DVR and 1 remote genie (for the bedroom).  My antenna is already SWM and that wire connects to the DVR and the remote genie goes into the bedroom.  I believe what you're talking about is something if the sat antenna is NOT SWM.  What antenna are you using?

Mike

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 03:34:06 AM »
Joel,

I ordered the Directv system yesterday from Directv and they only list my equipment (to be installed by a local installer for Directv) to be the Genie DVR and 1 remote genie (for the bedroom).  My antenna is already SWM and that wire connects to the DVR and the remote genie goes into the bedroom.  I believe what you're talking about is something if the sat antenna is NOT SWM.  What antenna are you using?

Mike

Mike:

I have a Trav'ler SK-3005 which was converted to SWM two years ago.  We have a Genie HR44 in the main area and a miniGenie C41 connected by coax in the bedroom.  I did the conversions myself and am rather well acquainted with the SWM architecture.

With all due respect what I am talking about is definitely for a SWM system.  You can't even use a Genie with a non-SWM system!!

With a Genie the TV in the bedroom can be either connected by wireless or by coax.  It you wish to connect it with a coax you would buy a C41 (or C51).  If you wish to connect it wirelessly you need a C41W AND you have to have a wireless video bridge.

Here's a link to a site where you can buy the C41W and where you can clearly see the words "requires DirecTV Wireless Video Bridge":  https://www.weaknees.com/directv-c41w-faq.php

Or if you don't like that link try this one to an Amazon listing for the C41W which also says "requires Video Bridge":  https://smile.amazon.com/DIRECTV-C41W-Wireless-Genie-Client/dp/B00IT8ZEMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1465871068&sr=1-1&keywords=c41w

My guess is that the DirecTV order you created isn't for a wireless miniGenie but just the wired kind.  I'm sure that unless you somehow "told" the ordering system that you want a wireless remote, the default is probably to installed a wired one.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:40:51 AM by Joel Weiss »