Author Topic: Beaver SAT cable, where are you?  (Read 8393 times)

Alan Homestead

Beaver SAT cable, where are you?
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:07:32 PM »
Hello all,
I just got a Tailgater portable dish, and I am anxious to give it a whirl! On my 04 Monterey, in the utility bay, is a coax connecter marked "SAT" to attach the coax cable from the tailgater.

The trouble is, when looking inside the coach, in the electronics cabinet above the passenger seat, I cannot find the coax cable coming from the "SAT" connecter in the utility bay.

The factory coax cable which is attached to the internal side of the utility bay connecter is marked "BHL/SAT", if that is any help.

I wouldn't mind stringing the tailgater coax through a window, to bypass Beaver's wiring, but my better half will certainly frown on that.

Any suggestions on where to find the SAT coax will help me maintain a happy wife/life.  :)
Alan H. Seattle  

Dennis Crawford

Re: Beaver SAT cable, where are you?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:38:04 PM »
Alan,

I have a 2005 Monterey, and I hate to tell you, but I can't find that cable either.  I think it is a hoax.

Dennis

Dennis Evans

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:49:42 AM »
I found mine behind the Stereo and DirectTV receiver.  I installed a selector switch to use either the Roof Dome or the wet bay connection for input to the receiver.  I connect the dish on the garage roof to the wet bay when I'm home.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 01:54:08 AM »
The cable connection in the outside bay was intended for use in the days when campgrounds provided cable service, which some still do. However, most do not, and with the proliferation of satellite dishes, it will continue to go away.

Chances are, if you have a DirecTV receiver, there has been a retrofit by the PO, and the cable from the bay is no longer available, since the user chose to go to satellite instead of cable.

This is purely conjecture on my part, but its what I ran into when putting in DirecTV and a new surround sound.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
My coach has 2 cable hook ups in the wet bay, one labled SAT and the other CABLE. My electronics cabinet has an A/B switch (Above/Below) that my rooftop and wet bay cables connect to. The output goes to the DirecTV box and thence to the television. The CABLE cable goes directly to a splitter that inputs from the CABLE and from the rooftop television antenna and then to the television since the cable you get at RV parks don't generally require a tuner box.

If you have an A/B switch, the B side is generally from the wet bay. If you don't have an A/B switch, trace the wire from your rooftop television antenna, I'm betting you will find a splitter with the errent cable from the wet bay also attached.

Alan Homestead

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
Dennis,
Well, silly me. I shouldn't be so dang gullible!!
Alan

I have a 2005 Monterey, and I hate to tell you, but I can't find that cable either.  I think it is a hoax.  Dennis[/quote]

Alan Homestead

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »
Dennis, A selector switch is a great idea. Thanks! I suppose Radio Shack would have one of those.
Alan

I found mine behind the Stereo and DirectTV receiver.  I installed a selector switch to use either the Roof Dome or the wet bay connection for input to the receiver.  I connect the dish on the garage roof to the wet bay when I'm home.[/quote]

Alan Homestead

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »
Stan, I appreciate the feedback!
Alan

Quote from: Stan Simpson
The cable connection in the outside bay was intended for use in the days when campgrounds provided cable service, which some still do. However, most do not, and with the proliferation of satellite dishes, it will continue to go away.

Chances are, if you have a DirecTV receiver, there has been a retrofit by the PO, and the cable from the bay is no longer available, since the user chose to go to satellite instead of cable.

This is purely conjecture on my part, but its what I ran into when putting in DirecTV and a new surround sound.

Stan

Alan Homestead

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 08:32:04 PM »
Jay, There is no A/B switch, so it is a good idea to trace the batwing antenna cable to look for a splitter. Thank you very much!
Alan

Quote from: Jay and Raylene Todd
My coach has 2 cable hook ups in the wet bay, one labled SAT and the other CABLE. My electronics cabinet has an A/B switch (Above/Below) that my rooftop and wet bay cables connect to. The output goes to the DirecTV box and thence to the television. The CABLE cable goes directly to a splitter that inputs from the CABLE and from the rooftop television antenna and then to the television since the cable you get at RV parks don't generally require a tuner box.

If you have an A/B switch, the B side is generally from the wet bay. If you don't have an A/B switch, trace the wire from your rooftop television antenna, I'm betting you will find a splitter with the errent cable from the wet bay also attached.

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »
Alan.
On my Monterey the Sat/cable from the wet bay goes directly to the TV antena booster. The cable from the bat wing antenna also goes to this booster. If the booster is on then it is boosting
the strength of the signal from the bat wing antenna which is then routed to the splitter mount to the wall in the back of the cabinet where the sat reciever, DVD, home theater, VCR are all located.
The cable from the wet bay will not pass a signal from the Sat dish but works with cable from the park if you turn the booster off. the output from the splitter goes to the verious TV's in the coach.
I have a Sat cable installed in the electrical cabinet below the drivers seat. It is routed up to a A/B switch above the sat reciever and the Dome goes to the other side of this A/B switch.
The output of the A/B switch goes to the sat reciever.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Alan Homestead

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 01:10:33 AM »
Harvey,
Very interesting. On my 04 Monterey, in the wet bay, there is a face plate with two coax connections, marked "cable" and "sat". There are 2 coax cables attached to the back of the face plate: one for "cable" and one for "sat". The "cable" coax goes to the Winegard antenna booster (tested by VOM). But there is no cable in the electronics cabinet that tests to be continuous with the "sat" coax in the wet bay. Maybe it is stuck somewhere behind the woodwork.

I like your idea of creating a new "sat" input location in the fuse bay beneath the driver, and routing new coax up through the windshield pillar. I don't know but maybe the old OEM coax would not support the Tailgater feed, and maybe I need to install new high-tech coax anyway.

Your feed back is much appreciated!
Alan

Quote from: Harvey Ziegler
Alan.
On my Monterey the Sat/cable from the wet bay goes directly to the TV antena booster. The cable from the bat wing antenna also goes to this booster. If the booster is on then it is boosting
the strength of the signal from the bat wing antenna which is then routed to the splitter mount to the wall in the back of the cabinet where the sat reciever, DVD, home theater, VCR are all located.
The cable from the wet bay will not pass a signal from the Sat dish but works with cable from the park if you turn the booster off. the output from the splitter goes to the verious TV's in the coach.
I have a Sat cable installed in the electrical cabinet below the drivers seat. It is routed up to a A/B switch above the sat reciever and the Dome goes to the other side of this A/B switch.
The output of the A/B switch goes to the sat reciever.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 03:32:26 AM »
I could not get any of my old coax to support the tailgater antenna.  The coax that came with it delivers the voltage that it needs to operate and when I connected that to any input on my old motorhome, the antenna would not work.  I finally just ran the coax from the antenna through the rubber gasket of the slide out each time I set it up and that worked just fine.

Dale Malquist

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
On my 2007 Contessa there are two cables at the dish. One is marked as patio or something similar.

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
Hi Alan
Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you. I went out to the motorhome this morning and checked in the wet bay.
Yes the connector has 2 connectors with one marked cable and the other marked sat. On mine though if you pull the panel out in the wet bay so that you can see behind it there is only one coax cable and it is attached to the connector marker cable and the other end is connected to the tv booster. Have you been able to see if you have 2 coax cables attached to the connector panel in the wet bay.
Hope this helps.
Harvey
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler