Author Topic: Erratic Tach  (Read 3330 times)

Doug Neal

Erratic Tach
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »

For several years I tried to get our erratic analog dash tachometer fixed. The Aladdin tach worked fine. The dash tach was stable when you were on flat ground and using moderate throttle. However when you increased the load to maybe 70% the dash tach became possessed by the Devil, bouncing around and not useable. I was in BCS in Bend and mentioned it to them. Ken says "no problem" we build a module with several widgets attach them to the gage and the exorcist will be done. Cost around $45.00 parts & labor to assembly, plus I think less than 1hr to install in the coach. I don't know if this is unique to the ISL Cummins. If anyone else has had this issue I would be curious to know. Send me a message.  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Erratic Tach
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 07:27:10 AM »
Some have called him a Wizard, but now Ken does exorcisms too?

What a guy!   ;D
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Mecklenburg

Re: Erratic Tach
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:57:19 PM »
Doug,
I had the same twitching tachometer problem and learned of the solution (a diode attached to two terminals on the back of the tachometer) from Tom at Massey Diesel in Phoenix. I shared this resolution with Ken at BCS some time ago and not only is he a wizard, an exorcist, but he never let on to me that he would remember how to solve this problem. ha!!! Glad he helped you out, as I know how annoying the twitching tachometer can be.
Dennis M