Author Topic: IDS Leveling System Information  (Read 12226 times)

Jerald Cate

IDS Leveling System Information
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:58:12 AM »
I'm a first time poster here and would like to say this forum has been very useful to me since we purchased our Beaver earlier this year.  I've found answers to a lot of my questions just by browsing around.  I've been fortunate and not had any major issues with our motorhome and was provided a lot of documentation from the previous owner.  The one thing I can't find much information about, other than operating procedures, is the IDS leveling system.  Is there a source of information somewhere about that system.  I would like to have information about the manufacturer, servicing requirements, schematics (electrical and hydraulic) and any other info I can get my hands on.  I've not had any issues to date but I want to ensure it is properly serviced and maintained if I possibly can.  Any info that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

George H. Wall

Re: IDS Leveling System Information
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 05:08:40 AM »
This system is no longer made. I had propulsion problems with mine, over a year ago, and the guys at BCS were able to build a new system with parts from about 6 places. It now functions fine. Some of the parts are available. pad, levelers, etc. If you have problems, I would contact them.   Henry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »
Not being familiar with IDS, I'm not sure if anything here will be useful:   http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=175&Itemid=104

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

George H. Wall

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 01:43:45 PM »
Jerald, Some of the info on the IDS module that Joel points out is relevant to our levelers, and give you an idea of how to use the system, other parts are not applicable.  Henry

Jerald Cate

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 02:36:58 AM »
I appreciate the responses, I was afraid that since I couldn't find much information on IDS system on the internet that the information I'm looking for just might not be available.  My main concern right now is servicing the system, primarily the hydraulics.  There is a black tank in the bay aft of my battery trays and directly below the engine air filter that looks like it might be a hydraulic fluid tank.  There is a sight glass on the tank but I don't see any fluid in the glass.  Does anyone know if this is my hydraulic fluid tank for the leveling system and if so what type fluid I should use to fill the tank?

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:29:40 AM »
Bruce,

I own a 2002 Marquis and I will tell you where things are located on my coach so you can check. The tank in the rear compartment on the passenger side is a hydraulic tank with the sight glass. It usually had Dexron fluids in it. That reservoir was for the hydraulic motor driven cooling fan for the radiator and the power steering. There needs to be expansion room so run the fluid just barely to the sight glass.

On my coach the leveling hydraulic pump and reservoir is located under the front entry steps. That hydraulic pump also runs the main slide. The second step lifts for access but I am not sure if they carried that feature into 2003 or not. If so that tank also uses Dexron. If you run the leveling system and walk around the coach you should be able to locate the pump by finding the source of the noise. Do your hydraulic leveling rams go to the ground with spring returns or onto the axles?

Later Ed

George H. Wall

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:37:45 PM »
Jerald OR Bruce, On my Patriot, the hydraulic fluid tank for the IDS leveling system, that levels off of the frame, is UP and behind the passenger side rear dual wheels. It is small box,  shaped and probably holds no more than 6-8 ozs of fluid. It is very hard to access as it is above you, while laying on your back looking upwards.

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
Hi Jerald, I just emailed you the manual for the IDS system, including all the schematics, let me know if you get it ok, I would post it here but it is a PDF and I don't know how to do it.

Dave

Jerald Cate

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 02:35:52 AM »
Thanks again to everyone that responded I'm feeling a little better about this leveling system.

Dave, I got your email and that file contained a lot more information than I had been working with.  I'll print that document and add it to my files.

Ed, I've never heard of the hydraulic motor driven cooling fan.  I've learned something new today, that's something I'm going to have to look into a little more.  My coach levels to the axles not the ground.  It also has only one entrance step so that tipped me off pretty quick that my hydraulic leveling pump and reservoir probably weren't up front and I was right.  Haven't found them yet still looking.  George mentioned it might be behind the passenger side duals, I have a tag axle and I didn't see it behind the tag couldn't crawl far enough under to see if it was behind the duals.  I'll do some more nosing around this weekend and try what you said about listening for the pump noise.

George, I'll answer to anything but I go by my middle name "Bruce".  I'm use to Jerald because I guess most folks that want your personal information assumes you go by your first name.  

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 04:36:30 AM »
The entry steps that I am referring to are the ones inside the coach. Be sure that when you are looking for where any noise is coming from that the coach may drop to level. With air suspension you need to be very careful under what circumstances you will spend time under the coach and blocking the frame or heavy duty jack stands may be considered as necessary safety measure when working on or around certain coach systems.

If you have a side radiator and I am sure you do, you have a hydraulic motor driven fan.  

Later Ed

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »
Hey Bruce, I am glad you got the manual, I found it quite helpful, as Steve and Ed mentioned their pumps, as well as the one on my 03 Marquis, are located up under the entry steps, and as We all have different models and years , I can't imagine them changing the location on your Patriot ( but hey it's a motorhome, crazier things have happened)
You do have to get right under there to see it, if you do a search for Ids levelling, you should find a thread of mine with some photos of the pump and specs on the motor, as I had to change it last year.

Dave

Jerald Cate

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 03:35:07 AM »
Well I looked under the inside entry steps this time and didn't find the pump but I did find a small radiator and fan.  Not sure what that's all about, I'll have to add that to my list of things I don't know.  I did find the hydraulic leveling pump finally by following the noise and I guess I have a new mounting location for these things.  It"s mounted to the frame of the battery tray on the side towards the rear of the coach.  There is an air line connection and other fittings mounted in front of the pump.  Don't know if this is the standard location for this model as I know my coach didn't start out as a run of the mill motorhome but as a hospitality vehicle for a marketing company for Terry Labonte.  I've found several things that have been modified so far and I'm quite sure I have more surprises in my future.  Now all I need to do is see if I can get in there and check fluid levels.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 04:13:55 AM »
Jerald, That is where the hydraulic pump for my IDS leveling system is. It also controls the kitchen living room slide. The reservoir is hard to get at and only holds maybe a gallon. It's about 6in. in diameter and about 18in. tall with the fill cap at the top on one side. Take the cap off and use a clean zippy tie as a dip stick. The fan you found in the front is the cooling fan for your dash AC condenser.
Marty

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »
Quote from: Dave Cunningham
Hi Jerald, I just emailed you the manual for the IDS system, including all the schematics, let me know if you get it ok, I would post it here but it is a PDF and I don't know how to do it.

Dave

Dave
If you still have the PDF you set up for Jerald perhaps you could send it to me as well?  PM me if you have time to do this and thanks.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »
Hi Keith , I am down in Palm Springs for three weeks, but I will make sure to send that to you as soon as I get home.

Dave