Author Topic: 1998 Patriot Monticello heat source  (Read 7297 times)

Gary Wolfer

1998 Patriot Monticello heat source
« on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:25 AM »
I have a new to me 98 beaver patriot. I have a hurricane system. I have burnt up close to 50 gallons of diesel in the last 3 weeks. Is there an alternate sourcee of heat when plugged in to 50 amp? I keep hearing about aqua hot and electric furnace. If I have something other than full time diesel how do I access it. Seems like diesel is expensive to heat my coach.

Carl Marchant

Re: 1998 Patriot Monticello heat source
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »
This is the heat on this Beaver, same here and I bought a forced electric heater from Northern Tool and back up another electric heater in bath area if temp drops to teens. I am planning on a heat pump but not much help in low temps. Maybe someone else has a suggestion for us.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:32:42 PM »
Some of us with Hurricanes have installed the Rixon Comfort Hot which give an electric heat option.  Mine was installed a few months ago and I have only had to use the burner once when the outside temp was in the 20's.  You might check it out.

Tom Chace

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:20:17 PM »
When I purchased our Monterey - The heat didn't work.
The past owner had and gave us an electric hydro heater
Not sure now what make/model it is.
It would probably be put under the heading of a supplemental electric with humidity control heat source.

The comfort hot mentioned above sounds very interesting

Tom & Pam Chace
Soon to be on the road

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:25:17 AM »
Tom,
The Comfort Hot system does not work with all coaches. What year model Monterey do you own, and what type of heating system does it have?

Gerald

Matthew Harger

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 12:41:19 AM »
Gary-

We only use the hurricane for heating while boondocked.  If we are plugged in we break out a couple of ceramic heaters and plug those in. They are awesome and heat the coach up quickly. Goods ones are reasonably priced and you don't need super big ones either.

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 02:39:20 AM »
Thank you all and Gerald I have a 98 Patriot monticello.

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 02:57:54 AM »
How can I get hot water if I do not use the hurricane and use space heaters?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 04:31:51 AM »
Gary,
The Comfort Hot system will work very well on your coach as a substitute for the diesel boiler, but it is an expensive addition. Some coaches have an electric water heater mounted just above the Hurricane that supplies hot water when the Hurricane is not running.

Gerald  

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »
I will take a photo of the hurricane bay as there are two boxes in the compartment one above the boiler  I have not posted a photo yet but will try later. Thanks Gary

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 05:24:17 AM »
Gerald I have not tried to post photos yet but there is another box above my hurricane heater and it is an electric hot water heater. The outgoing hose is warm always. I notice both heaters have a ball valve in the hot water side to shut off water flow. Not sure what brand the hot water heater is but I am thrilled to see one. I have purchased a Life Smart infrared heater model LS1000hh13 They claim it will heat a home up to 2,000 sq ft but I have my doubts but the temp has dropped to the mid 20's here all week and this heater is totally awesome. It has three settings with 6 infrared tubes. all 6 in high position draw 1500 watts of power. the low position uses 4 tubes and 1,000 watts and there is an eco (economy) mode that holds the temp to 68 degrees. The economy mode kept it comfortable the last few nights but at dawn I use the hurricane heater to keep the pipes in the basement from freezing in the coldest part of the morning.