Author Topic: Picking up new coach - what to ask?  (Read 8469 times)

Steve Proctor

Picking up new coach - what to ask?
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:18:02 AM »
  Since I am getting ready to pick up a "New to me" 99 Contessa 38' I thought I would ask all of the experts if there is anything that I especially need to be looking for. The dealer has it right now and is going through all the systems to make sure they are all in order. Since they may not be "Beaver" experts I thought I would see if any one has some items that I should be looking at. I'm not new to motorhomes but I am new to diesel pushers and will need a good "crash course" to get me up to speed.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Steve
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:02:25 PM by 5 »

Terry Melot

Re: Picking up new coach - what to ask?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 05:45:31 AM »
Steve, we purchased our first motor home in July. Don't make the mistake I did. I should have read the owners manual cover to cover. Maybe twice would've been even better.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »
Steve, our first diesel was our first Beaver too.  Gas coaches are different critters but the learning curve for your first diesel is imposing.  I found it helpful to sit in the motorhome and read the books because if I see  it as well as read about it the whole picture is made clearer.  Oft times the terms used were the problem but these became clear when I looked it over.
Bye the way, welcome to the Beaver family

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
Steve,
Have the dealer show you where all the motor filters are and how to drain water from the fuel fillter. Ask when the fluids/filters were changed last including the transmission. Make sure to road test the coach. Also ask where the air and hydralic fluid tanks are and show you how to level the coach using both air and hydralics. This was one of the hardest task for me to get used to in thinking something wasn't working right when it was the operator. Check the welds at top of the bay doors for cracks. Finally, admit that these coaches seem to operate themselves and we should just sit back and enjoy them.

Gary

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 05:15:03 PM »
Steve

My 98 Contessa was new to me in March 2011.  I have owned boats for 40 years, with diesel engines, inverters, dc fridges, etc, so I thought my learning curve would be short.  How wrong could I have been.  I am still learning things about this coach that boating knowledge did not help me with.  Read your manuals, but when things don't work the way you think they should, back away and think about it for a while.  It is probably working the way it was designed to work, just in a way that is not intuitive to you.

Gary: no air leveling in the Contessa unless I got ripped off.

Steve:  Things I have done to rehab/improve my Contessa
 Better headlights, as the OEM were dim.  I just bought better sealed beam units.  There is a thread in the archives about putting in a relay to get more voltage to the headlight circuit.  I didn't have to do that.
 Better horns, as the OEM were wimpy.  I bought Hadley truck horns at a truck supplier, Cheap like Borscht, but way better.  I note that newer Beavers come with Hadley horns.  No Beaver logo, so I put a Canadian Flag on the front of each horn.
 Laminate floor where there used to be carpet.  No more unsightly dirty carpet in the front cabin.
 Snaky seals on all double pane windows replaced.  Not just a Contessa problem, but Se-Gi window problem.
 Front curtain and all OEM blinds replaced with MCD. Big improvement.  See thread in the archives on this for pictures.
 TV changed out for HD Flat Screen.
 Full interior re-paint.  Easy, and gets away from the dated wallpaper.
 Window leaks addressed - This is the place that I think the manufacturer really fell down.  The only thing keeping out the water is a 1/16" x 1/2" butyl strip sealing each window to the fibreglass skin of the coach.  Once that fails, which it will, nothing keeps the water out of the plywood that forms the opening.  The plywood is a big sponge, so the inevitable result is very messy.  I doubt any motorhomes built in this era with the same windows are any better, so be aware and pay close attention to the state of the walls around the windows, as delaminations will show up.  If you keep a bead of Lexel sealant around the outside lip of all of the windows, you may hold off serious leaks, but this does require vigilance.  I live in the rainforest, so may be far more sensitive to this issue than most.

As for Diesel maintenance, so long as it has been done when you take delivery, these big diesels are easier to maintain and last a lot longer than the big gas engines you are used to, so you shouldn't have any trouble.  Just keep your oil changed regularly, keep an eye on the clear bottom of the fuel filter, the air cleaner indicator, changing as indicated.  

Enjoy your Contessa.  Beavers generally have a great reputation for a good quality build.  That doesn't mean things won't go wrong, they will, just not as often as with lesser brands.

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 12:24:14 AM »
[size=14][/size]Gary...Welcome to the great Beaver organization, great people and great rallies all over the country.  The guys above gave you lots to think about but you really have to experience all this stuff yourself.  Other than what you have been told another learning tool is to attend a major BAC rally and sit in on the maintenance seminars.  We have some truly knowledgeable guys doing these seminars.  Also talking to members at the rallies will give you additional knowledge about 'how to' and what brands to think about as there are so many to evaluate.  Hope to see you at one of our rallies soon.
Mandy Canales
National Director
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Steve Proctor

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 03:57:16 PM »
Keith O… Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to look out for the items you mentioned. There is some stuff I want to change…. just like my motorcycle; I need to make it my own.

Gary…. I'll make sure I ask about the various filters etc. when I pick up the coach. Also, I've never been a huge manual fan,
but it appears that I will need to alter some old habits.

Keith W… As for sitting in the coach and looking at the stuff with the manuals. I know first hand how this is a huge learning tool. Every airplane and helicopter I ever flew would always have a session of just sitting in the cockpit and looking for the "stuff".

Thanks again for all your input. I enjoyed my gas MH and I'm sure I will love my diesel…

Steve

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
Steve,
If you've flown, or owned a plane or helicopter, then the pre-trip inspections will be similar to you. I compare ours to owning an airplane. Everything has to be inspected and checked before "take off". Regarding the manuals, I've found myself studying them whenever something comes up I'm not too familiar with. I'm lucky to have them all, plus this forum site is another great resource.

Go Mizzou!
Gary

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 01:00:41 PM »
Steve,

Make sure that dealer demonstrates every system on that coach.  While working in an RV repair facility after I retired, I was responsible for PDI and customer education.  I would advise my customers to feel free to video tape the session.

Just don't let them gloss over the many systems.

Dennis

Steve Proctor

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:17 PM »
Gary and Dennis. Good info from you both.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm sure I will be there a while.