Author Topic: Engine Compartment Insulation  (Read 3697 times)

Mike Merchant

Engine Compartment Insulation
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:18:59 PM »
I have some loose insulation in the engine bay. Looks like black, pliable closed cell foam product with aluminum face on the engine side. I can reuse the insulation  but am wondering what adhesive would be best considering the temperature exposure, etc. The insulation glues to what is the down side of the closet floor, which is fiberglass, I think. Maybe adhesive and screws with fender washers would be best.
Does anyone have experience with which adhesive would be best?                                                     Thanks,  Mike

Carl Marchant

Re: Engine Compartment Insulation
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »
sikaflex-221 will hold most anything, the stainless on one of our buses was glued with this stuff it is great white or black

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »
Mike,

I had the same problem. Tried sticking velcro to the ceiling, and velcro to the insulation. Lasted about a year. Tried liquid nails, lasted 20 minutes. Tried Gorilla glue, lasted 5 minutes.

Finally, I had the piece of insulation so ruined, I just tossed it in the garbage. Posted a thread here about it, and got lots of ideas, including yours with the fender washers.

The coach is in storage right now, but when I have it out for a possible trip to San Antonio in February, I'm going to have a go at it again, with a new piece of insulation.

The biggest problem for me is getting up in there, finding something to hold it in place while I get all of the fasteners started. I'm 6' 3" and 230 lbs with replacement hips, so its a very difficult job. Lots of #)%#$#^^&#$( going on!  :-/

Good luck on yours, and if you find an adhesive that actually holds, let me know, please.

Stan

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 07:21:18 PM »
Mike,

You may want to try placing 1/2" hardware cloth under the insulation, then hold it all up with shoulder washers on screws.  The hardware cloth will keep the insulation from sagging.

Larry

Mike Merchant

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 07:25:50 PM »
Stan,
When I eventually get around to this project I thought I would go to a Toys R us and get 3/4 cheap plastic swimming pool kids balls and wedge them against the valve cover etc and inflate while the glue sets. Just a thought, but I want to be pretty sure of the cement before I jump in, as your post points out.
                                                                                                                                                                   Mike